Q. Does high cholesterol medicine have any side effects?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are elevated. But, they were the same in my previous checkup reports too. I am a bit reluctant to take medication because of the side effects. My father has both cardiac and diabetic issues. I am doing exercise regularly and my intake of sugar is also under control. I do not smoke, but drink 3 pegs only on Saturdays. Can you please let me know why my cholesterol levels are still high? Is it too high to take medicines? Is there any side effect with the medicines? What precaution do I need to take in my lifestyle? I know that the long-term elevated levels of cholesterol is risky. Please help me.

#

Your vitamin D levels, thyroid levels and HbA1c are quite good.

Regarding your high cholesterol, it may be due to hereditary and food related. You have a high risk of coronary artery disease as you have a positive family history and high cholesterol.

• Do regular exercises with 30 minutes brisk walking a day for five days a week.
  • Avoid meat. You can take egg white and increase the intake of fish.
  • I suggest tablet Atocor 10 mg (Atorvastatin) daily at bedtime for three months and repeat lipid profile. Do a baseline LFT (liver function tests) before starting Atorvastatin.

If you have any severe muscle pain report to a physician. It is a rare side effect theoretically. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|