Q. Does high cholesterol medicine have any side effects?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are elevated. But, they were the same in my previous checkup reports too. I am a bit reluctant to take medication because of the side effects. My father has both cardiac and diabetic issues. I am doing exercise regularly and my intake of sugar is also under control. I do not smoke, but drink 3 pegs only on Saturdays. Can you please let me know why my cholesterol levels are still high? Is it too high to take medicines? Is there any side effect with the medicines? What precaution do I need to take in my lifestyle? I know that the long-term elevated levels of cholesterol is risky. Please help me.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Your vitamin D levels, thyroid levels and HbA1c are quite good.

Regarding your high cholesterol, it may be due to hereditary and food related. You have a high risk of coronary artery disease as you have a positive family history and high cholesterol.

• Do regular exercises with 30 minutes brisk walking a day for five days a week.
  • Avoid meat. You can take egg white and increase the intake of fish.
  • I suggest tablet Atocor 10 mg (Atorvastatin) daily at bedtime for three months and repeat lipid profile. Do a baseline LFT (liver function tests) before starting Atorvastatin.

If you have any severe muscle pain report to a physician. It is a rare side effect theoretically. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Is my headache a side effect of any medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a CAD patient for the past 10 years with 50% blockage. I have uploaded the image for your reference. I am taking Prolomet XL 50, Monit SR 30, Deplatt A 75, Lipicard 160 and Amixide H. I am suffering from headache since one year. My neurologist prescribed me Tryptomer 10 at first and ...  Read Full »

Atherosclerosis: The Silent Killer

Article Overview: Atherosclerosis is a coronary artery disease that is statistically the No. 1 killer. It is a silent disease, causing us no symptoms, and when it does, it can be life-threatening. Read this article to know how you can prevent this deadly disease. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What Does the Word Atherosclerosis Mean? The word 'athero' means paste and 'stenosis' means to harden. So, atherosclerosis is the hardening of deposits formed inside the blood vessels, gradually building up to obstruct the blood flow in the vessel, and eventually, restricting the blood flow complet...  Read Article

Could radiation therapy cause T-wave inversion?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 65 year old, hypertensive and diabetic female with T-wave inversion V1 to V6 on ECG. ECHO and TMT have done to evaluate further, which was reported to be normal. The patient is on Metformin XR and Tazloc-H. The patient is asymptomatic. Six months back, ECG did not show t...  Read Full »