Q. Why am I feeling thirsty and urinating frequently?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

I had a fungal infection in my groin area and even after taking the medication the problem was persistent. The doctor has advised checking diabetes and thyroid. I would like to have a master health checkup including the tests the doctor has suggested. What all should I consider? I am 27 years old. My height is 6'2", and weight is around 90 kg.

#

• Master health checkup is better to perform but not absolutely necessary at your age.
  • Fungal infections in the groin area not responding to treatment require an immunosuppressive state to be ruled out. Firstly, if you are on any immunosuppressive drugs, then stop them.
  • Then, get a blood sugar done and a thyroid profile. Also, take care of your personal hygiene and avoid wet clothing, which precipitates the condition.

In master checkup, the following will usually be done: CBP (complete blood profile), peripheral smear, RFT (renal function test), LFT (liver function test), blood sugars, thyroid profile, USG abdomen, serum electrolyte, serum calcium, vitamin D, chest x-ray and urine examination.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Will do blood sugar test and a thyroid profile. Should I just inform that I want to get a blood sugar test and a thyroid profile or should I mention something specific in the lab? Also, I forgot to mention, that I frequently have to urinate and feel thirsty. Is there any particular reason for this?

#

• Please mention the laboratory people to do oral GTT (glucose tolerance test) and thyroid profile.
  • The symptoms you are describing might also be due to high blood sugars. Do you have any symptoms of weight loss, fatigue, etc?

Revert with the details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

There is no loss of weight, but sometimes I do feel fatigue.

#

• First get the oral GTT, thyroid profile and hemoglobin levels done. Review with the reports, and we will further discuss on the treatment aspect.
  • Do not forget to maintain the personal hygiene and avoiding the wet clothing along with antifungal creams.

Revert with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Please find the attached laboratory reports.

#

• Your TSH is high, but it needs treatment only if TPO antibodies (thyroid peroxidase) are positive or you have symptoms like weight gain, loss of appetite, hair loss, etc.

TPO antibodies and free T4.

Revert with the reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|