Q. My brother gets jaundice every 3 to 4 months. Why?

Published on Jun 09, 2017

My brother has jaundice, which comes after every three to four months. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every three months. The doctors say that the number of cells in his body that are getting destroyed are more than the cells that are created. This according to him, is the reason of recurring jaundice. We are really confused. Can you tell me what is actually happening?

#

Thanks for your query.

• There are a number of causes of jaundice. Some of them are viral infections, (like hepatitis A, B, C, and E), certain medications, obstruction in the bile duct, and hemolytic anemia.
  • Recurring jaundice is said when the level of bilirubin becomes normal and again rises otherwise it is an ongoing infection. According to your doctor, it is due to increased destruction of red blood cells, which means it is due to hemolytic anemia. It is mostly due to antibodies IgG or IgM in the serum.
  • You can get a Coombs test to confirm the presence of antibodies in the serum, which is causing the destruction of RBC (red blood cells). This results in jaundice. You can discuss these guidelines with your doctor.

If you have any further query, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My baby's bilirubin levels are above 21. Is he at risk for cerebral palsy?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently blessed with a baby boy. This week, I just took him to the hospital to check if he had jaundice, as he seemed too sleepy and the bilirubin levels came to 21.80 on the eighth day. I do not know at which rate the levels were being raised. The doctor immediately put him unde...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation you are going through. Yes, it is definitely a high level of bilirubin. There will be proper guidelines laid down regarding the management of jaundice in newborn which doctors will follow. If the levels are too high and fall in the ex...  Read Full

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After having a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytosis. Urinar...  Read Full

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, once it has dried, virus is not transmitted and cannot spread the disease when it comes in contact with intact skin. Also, with drying, virus gets inactivated. Even in wet state, just contact of blood with intact skin (not mucosa), unlikely to transmit the virus ...  Read Full