Q. I have high prolactin. Will this affect my fertility?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• My doctor said that I have high prolactin, almost 200, but I have regular periods.
  • My periods are regular and usually have an interval of 30-33 days.
  • I do not have any othe menstrual symptoms, other than milky nipple discharge.
  • I take ovulation tests every month and comes back positive on my fertile days, yet I have not been able to conceive.
  • My doctor said that, it is just a matter of time and that I should be able to conceive.
  • I want treatment for the prolactin levels because, I believe that is the reason I am not able to conceive.

I just want a second opinion please. Thank you.

#

• High prolactin levels with galactorrhea (milky nipple discharge other than normal breast feeding) can often cause delayed ovulation and irregular menses.
  • The ovulation kits detect the LH surge and do not exactly tell us if there has been ovulation at all.
  • There may be delayed ovulation which can be ascertained only by regular follicular monitoring.
  • An excessive PRL (prolactin) secretion decreases the pulsatile release of GnRH (Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone) impairing the pituitary production of FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) and LH (Luteinizing Hormone).
  • Furthermore it may directly impair the endocrine activity of ovarian follicles.
  • As a consequence: defective luteal phase, inconstant ovulation and chronic anovulation are conditions frequently observed in young hyperprolactinemic patients.
  • So it is important that the prolactin levels are controlled.
  • If prolactinoma (benign pituitary tumour that produces prolactin) has been ruled out on MRI then you may take tablet Cabergoline 0.25mg twice a week for 3 weeks and then evaluate your prolactin levels again.
  • And then, if required the dose can be escalated to 0.5mg twice a week depending on the response.

Revert back to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|