Prolactinoma

Why am I having high prolactin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like help in understanding my situation and a second opinion to that of my GP. I had a blood test two months back which showed serum prolactin levels at 618. I was unaware what the test was for so breastfed before and during the blood being taken. I breastfeed a toddler betwe...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To get rid you of your worries, I should let you know the usual level of prolactin in different conditions. The upper limit of normal for many assays of serum prolactin is approximately 500 mIU/L (24 ng/mL). In non-pregnant and non-lactating patients, monomeric prolacti...  Read Full »

I have high prolactin.Will this affect my fertility?

Query: Hi, My doctor said that I have high prolactin, almost 200, but I have regular periods. My periods are regular and usually have an interval of 30-33 days. I do not have any othe menstrual symptoms, other than milky nipple discharge. I take ovulation tests every month and comes back positive on my fer...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. High prolactin levels with galactorrhea (milky nipple discharge other than normal breast feeding) can often cause delayed ovulation and irregular menses. The ovulation kits detect the LH surge and do not exactly tell us if there has been ovulation at all. There may be ...  Read Full »

May I know if medicine help in treating adenoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old female. My prolactin levels were found to be 1000 ng/ml. Pituitary size on MRI showed 17 × 26 × 15 mm. The endocrinologist said it is macroadenoma and asked to consult a neurosurgeon. My query is that whether the pituitary size is too big. Can an endocrin...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand all your concerns. From what you have mentioned, you have a large prolactinoma which requires treatment. Usually, we start with medication in order to reduce the hormone level as well as the mass size. In those with macroadenoma, surgery is usually require...  Read Full »

All my reports are normal but I still have gynecomastia. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I had prolactinoma diagnosed with secondary hypogonadism. I was treated with cabergoline and hydrocortisone for a few years and then taken off hydrocortisone when the adrenals began to function properly. My most recent blood tests came back normal, and I was tested for loads of other...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gynecomastia could be due to a testosterone deficiency, thyroid disorder or adrenal insufficiency in your case. Since your prolactin levels are normal and there is no further growth, it is no longer due to the prolactinoma. I would suggest you have your serum testoster...  Read Full »

I do not have any symptoms, then why is my prolactin level high and testosterone level low?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor wants me to get an MRI after my blood work. I wanted to get a second opinion, and I have attached my blood results. My prolactin is 20.4 (above normal), total testosterone is 269.3 (below normal), free testosterone is 8.9 (normal), FSH is 3.7 (normal), LH is 2.9 (normal). I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query. See, your prolactin levels are high. There are only two reasons for that: Problems in the testes. Problems in the pituitary gland located in the brain. Now your endocrinologist wants to know if there is any pituitary problem, which is causin...  Read Full »