Q. Is it necessary to take MRI scan for high prolactin levels and irregular periods?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 40 years old. I have irregular for the past six months. I got checked my prolactin as per doctor advise which came out to be 27. Then the doctor prescribed me Estrogen-progesterone. Then the cycle was still irregular. After that my prolactin rise to 38. Cabergoline was prescribed for a month. Now from the past month, my cycle became regular. Gynecologist suggested me to go for Endocrinologist. I am worried about the MRI as she hinted about. I need your suggestion.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you had slight high prolactin levels and you took Cabergoline to treat that. Well, if at all you had some pituitary problem it gets resolved with Cabergoline and unless you do not have the same period problems like no periods at all for two to three months or headache persistently then there is no need for MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) pituitary.

Repeat your prolactin when you finish your Cabergoline dose.

| 

I am worried about MRI. Prolactin level is 38. Is it worrying or it is just a slight increase. I read about prolactinoma on the internet and I am a little stressed about this.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

See, if you are worried then for relieving your worry you can do an MRI pituitary for your peace of mind. 38 is quite a low number to be that worried in my opinion. It will come to normal next month once your course completes.

| 

Why am I having high prolactin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like help in understanding my situation and a second opinion to that of my GP. I had a blood test two months back which showed serum prolactin levels at 618. I was unaware what the test was for so breastfed before and during the blood being taken. I breastfeed a toddler betwe...  Read Full »

I am not having my menstrual period due to high prolactin. Will it damage my health?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old female. My weight is 91, and I have three children. I am not having my menstrual period for the past four years. After running some tests, doctors confirmed it is high prolactin, and gave me drugs, but it did not help. I want to find out if there going to be any dam...  Read Full »

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now