Q. My blood report shows elevated prolactin, TSH and low testosterone. How to correct these?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

I did a blood test, and four of my markers were not normal. Prolactin is high 401mul, TSH is 6.07mul, and my testosterone is 6.72, and SHBG is 13.2. How can I improve these?

#

You did not mention anything about the reason why you did these blood tests. Do you have any symptoms? Are you taking any medications right now? Any previous medical history? If you have no symptoms and all your answers are negative, you need to repeat your blood tests after four to six weeks. These tests do show subclinical hypothyroidism with higher TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) but normal T4 and elevated prolactin.

Prolactin may be high in many medications, or it may be high in pituitary adenoma. So, proper history is very important in your scenario. I will advise you to repeat blood tests and do TPO antibodies, and if repeated blood tests show the same results, you may need to do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain.

I did a steroid cycle but have stopped for four months. But other than that, I have no symptoms except I am hungry a lot.

#

Steroids do cause increased prolactin and low testosterone levels. It may come back to normal in some patients in a few months, but the exact time is hard to predict. In my opinion, you should repeat the tests that you have done now after four to six weeks and if the results are abnormal as now. It is better to go for an MRI brain.

|