Q. I have high testosterone level with muscle pain, anxiety, and abdominal pain. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 40-year-old male with abnormally high testosterone. All other lab tests came back negative. What should be my next step?

I also have malaise, muscle aches, anxiety, and abdominal pain.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

You sent me cortisol levels report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but there is no report for testosterone. Your cortisol is normal. Please send the testosterone report.

Thank you doctor,

I am attempting to upload the file, but it will not let me. The testosterone report says 1352 ng/dl.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Total testosterone levels 1350. Until 950 it is normal. It is unusual for slightly elevated testosterone levels to cause infertility in men. However, if the levels are abnormally high, the question will be whether it is caused by a tumor (rare) or by drug use. If it is due to anabolic steroid use or testosterone supplementation, backing off the supplements or steroids should resolve the problem. So have you ever taken anabolic steroids?

It is surprising to many men that high testosterone can cause infertility. Some men take testosterone supplements thinking it will improve their fertility. Or, they take it hoping to improve their stamina, strength, and energy levels. Unfortunately, testosterone supplementation in men who do not medically need it can cause infertility.

So, I will advise you first to repeat morning free testosterone levels if that is high, usually, it is until 30. You need to do further tests if you are not using any testosterone containing medication or supplements. We need to rule out testicular or adrenal tumor if your morning free testosterone levels are high and you are not on testosterone medication. In that case, you need to do an ultrasound of scrotum, HCG levels, etc.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Having abdominal pain and bloated feeling for five months. Could this be due to colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had abdominal pain for five months. It is mainly under the right side ribs along the right flank. I also have some pain on the left. I feel gassy and bloated. The stomach makes some crazy noises. I was constipated for a few months, but now I have constant diarrhea. I am going to ...  Read Full »

I have an anxiety problem from the past 10 years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Anxiety is every day of my life. I rarely get small breaks without anxiety. It has been 10 years now. Panic attacks do come. I am taking Xanax 0.5 mg 1 to 3 days. I am a 26 years old male, and my height and weight are 5.9" and 80 kg respectively. Please help.  Read Full »

How can I stop my body from producing excessive male hormones?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a sickle cell trait. I was diagnosed with pcos and pmdd. I got a colonoscopy done for chronic constipation. But, the report was inconclusive. My main concern is that, my body is producing lot of male hormones. Due to which, I have a lot of facial hair and have a deep voice. On a r...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.