Q. Can hyperthyroidism cause weight loss, sweating and palpitation?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 46 years old male, weighing 67 kg, height 176 cm. Current symptoms are weight loss (lost about 5 kg in one month), feeling hot. Sweating, problems falling asleep, difficulty focusing on one task, forgetfulness, change in bowel habits (experiencing loose motion sometimes), palpitations, nervousness, fatigue, heat intolerance (not able to hold hot objects like hot teacup). The blood test results show thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) 0.008 milli-international units per liter of blood (mIU/L), triiodothyronine (T3) 2.3 ng/ml, thyroxine (total T4) 17.8 µg/dL, thyroid scan result is suggestive of thyroiditis.

#

From what you have mentioned and from the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you have thyroiditis. Your results show that you have hyperthyroidism but not so bad but your scan results suggest thyroiditis which needs no treatment, so, therefore, you have two choices, either you wait and watch till your thyroid gland recovers from this crisis by taking bed rest and Aspirin. Or you take anti-thyroid medications if you had a high pulse rate but since you are not having any high pulse rate it would be better not to take any drugs for thyroid currently. My personal advice would be to wait and repeat your thyroid function test after two weeks. Till that time we can be sure whether treatment is necessary or not. Till that time take strict bed rest. Keep a watch on your pulse rate and blood pressure.

I am worried about weight loss. Having issues of loose stools. Not getting deep sleep. Numbness in foot and figures. Severe body muscle pain. If you suggest any medication please let me know. Most of the symptoms are related to hyperthyroidism I hope. I am enclosing my recent blood and urine test.

#

I saw your attachment and it is normal apart from the fact that your ESR is raised but that is because of the ongoing inflammatory reaction going on with your thyroid gland. Regarding your diarrhea, take tablet Hyoscine 10 mg twice a day for 3 to 4 days but later on as and when required. Take lots of curd and oral rehydration solution. Avoid juices, salads, chutney, pickles, coffee, alcohol, and smoking. Take tablet Neurobion forte twice a day for a month. Tablet Calcium 500 mg once a day for a month. The weight loss could be the water loss from your body due to loose stools.

|