Q. How to reduce the level of triglycerides?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

How can I reduce triglycerides? I have been checking my lipid profile over last seven years. Every time it comes back normal except triglycerides which are between 250 and 400. Kindly do the needful.

#

Triglycerides are the final products of fat metabolism in body. They are actually getting deposited over the hips, thighs and belly fat.
They come directly from dietary fatty meals and also formed de novo from other sources like proteins and carbohydrates.

Hypertriglyceridemia.

I would like you to start with diet and lifestyle modifications first. If it works, then I will add up medications.
1. Avoid sedentary lifestyle.
2. Start jogging. 10,000 steps daily at a healthy pace. Better is to join a gym. Your BMI (body mass index) is high. It means your weight should have to be in limit related to the height and age.
3. Avoid fatty and high protein meals such as chicken, egg, fish and meat.
4. Avoid sugar of any kind and extra salt too.

Please answer the following questions to get more effective treatment plan:
1. Are you diabetic?
2. Do other family members or parents have the problem same as you have now?
3. Do you smoke and drink alcohol? How is your diet?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for the answer. Over the last seven years I have been doing many exercises and diet but all in vain. I am not diabetic and my fasting blood sugar is between 90-105. Nobody in my family has high triglycerides or lipid, except me. I am doing swimming as a physical activity for 40 minutes about 250 meters five days a week since a year. I do smoke once in two weeks and drink alcohol once in a week to the maximum of 120 ml of whisky.

My diet is, only milk for breakfast. Two roti and dal for lunch. Chicken, butter roti, dal and ice cream for dinner. I stopped eating non-vegetarian, smoking and alcohol for three months before two years but still I had my triglycerides around 295. I stopped eating dinner for a month and then did my lipid test and found still it was 350. I did not even reduce a single gram of weight by skipping my dinner. But I do eat a lot of meat, which I am trying to reduce now. My friends have almost same style of eating habits, but they are all fine. Please help.

#

I want to assure you not to worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.

1. One man's meat is another man's poison. Your friends and you have different genetics and body structure. Genetics and enzymatic processes have a big role in lipid metabolism.
2. Stop meat, cigarette and alcohol as it is poison for you. No ice cream. No butter. Do not take two rotis; instead one is enough for you. Add salads and vegetables in your diet.
3. Avoid much of tea, coffee and chocolates.
4. Jogging, swimming and cycling are the best exercises for you. Keep it up.
5. Skipping a meal is not a solution. Manage the amounts and add salads and vegetables cooked in non-stick utensils and almost no oil used.

After a month, do a fasting lipid profile and upload the report by making a picture in a follow up.
Keep a track record of what changes you made during this time.

1. The patients who come to me without symptoms but deranged lipid profile, weight reduction, diet and lifestyle modification, no cigarettes and no alcohol is the best treatment option for them and I keep the drugs away from them for as long as it can be. Do it and you will get better too. It is a clinically proven fact.
2. Medicines have their own adverse effects and once started, you may need to take for long time in life.
3. Start Citrucel (Methylcellulose) dietary fiber twice daily and capsule SeaMega one twice daily.
4. Herring fish is good for having omega-3 in it. Instead of meat and chicken (red meat is worst though), you may take this fish. It may help lowering triglycerides. But keep a balance. It should not increase your weight. Physical activity is a must.

Revert back with the test report to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|