What causes pain and twinges in the groin area during certain movements?

Q. Why do I feel pain and twinges in my groin area during certain movements?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2023

Hi doctor,

I have had pain in my lower stomach just above my crotch area for about seven weeks now. When I first went to my doctor with the complaint, he said I could have pulled a muscle. I have made an appointment to go back again, which he told me to do and he advised me to bring a urine sample. It does not hurt all the time. It does not hurt when I go to the toilet for passing urine and stools. Sometimes, when I am walking along, I do get a twinge in my groin area. If I sit down in a chair and move my legs towards me, then it does not hurt. But, I am getting pain when I lean up from a position such as from a bed or sofa. Sometimes, when I cough or sneeze it twinges. I do a lot of bending and lifting at work. It has not got any worse but does not seem to have gone either.

Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I feel really sorry for the pain and twinges you feel on certain positions and movements. It really is bothersome and needs attention and care.

  1. Your symptoms typically seem to be due to osteoarthritis of the hip joint and that is a medical condition of the hip joint due to age related wear and tear.
  2. Hip is the main joint transmitting weight of our body to the ground. But, it pays huge price for this service to the body.
  3. Continuous stretch and grinding movement causes wear and tear of the bone and cartilages. So, when the bony processes or surfaces rub together (with no cushion in between) it causes gnawing pain in the hip.
  4. Thanks for giving a detailed history that makes it easy to rule out some causes. Your pain typically falls in this category. But, there is still an obvious need for a visit and consultation from an orthopedist.
  5. He will have the advantage of examining you physically and will go for thorough diagnostic testing. Once a diagnosis is made, this age related disease can be dealt with accordingly.
  6. Your occupation of lifting heavy weights, standing long times at a single place and incorrect postures in daily life also may have contributed to the issues. But, let me add that this is a very common illness in this age group.
  7. You need to take Ibuprofen for pain and to reduce inflammation of the joint. Take 400 mg twice daily for seven days (after meals only). Apply pain relieving ointment on the affected area, massage it gently and give heat to the area with heat pad.
  8. When at work, apply heatwraps around the hip joint. It provides heat to the deep tissues while on the go and helps relieve the symptoms quickly.
  9. Avoid lifting heavy weight, standing for long in a single posture and at the same place. Keep moving a bit and remain light on daily activities in order to reduce stress on the hip joints.

Thank you doctor,

Is this common in the mid-40s? I did wonder whether perhaps I had some kind of hernia. But, I do not seem to have any unusual bulges in that area. Do you think I still stand a chance of being rid of this pain one day? Or will it remain the same for my entire lifetime?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I feel happy to assist you and answer your follow-up query.

  1. Yes, it is possible to get such pain at this age, and as age advances; the chances of starting this pain are more.
  2. Yes, with treatment and care you can get a considerable reduction in pain or even complete resolution.
  3. If there are no bony spurs (pathologic bony growths) on the hip joint bones, then there are more chances of getting the issue resolved soon.
  4. You need to follow the instructions of your orthopedist in this regard, once he constitutes a diagnosis and suggests a management plan.
  5. As far as hernia is concerned, it does not seem to be the pain of hernia. On the physical examination, your physician will feel that it may be a cause, then he may definitely refer you for an ultrasound and consultation with a surgeon. The surgeon will rule out and clear the doubts you have regarding the hernia.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can osteoarthritis cause pain in knee?

I have consulted a doctor regarding this and he gave me some medicine and said it as early osteoarthritis ... Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months ... The pain is exactly o   Read full

I am having hip pain due to playing squash. Please advice.

Hello doctor,I used to have a long-term groin injury from playing badminton which caused jarring pain which ended up me having to stop for a while ...   Read full

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body ... Osteoarthritis of The Knee Joint Produces: Bone wear leading to asymmetric shape   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Criticalcare Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.