Q. Why do I feel pain and twinges in my groin area during certain movements?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

I have had pain in my lower stomach just above my crotch area for about seven weeks now. When I first went to my doctor with the complaint, he said I could have pulled a muscle. I have made an appointment to go back again, which he told me to do and he advised me to bring a urine sample. It does not hurt all the time. It does not hurt when I go to the toilet for passing urine and stools. Sometimes, when I am walking along, I do get a twinge in my groin area. If I sit down in a chair and move my legs towards me, then it does not hurt. But, I am getting pain when I lean up from a position such as from a bed or sofa. Sometimes, when I cough or sneeze it twinges. I do a lot of bending and lifting at work. It has not got any worse, but does not seem to have gone either. Please help.

#

I feel really sorry for the pain and twinges you feel on certain positions and movements. It really is bothersome and needs attention and care.

• Your symptoms typically seem to be due to osteoarthritis of the hip joint and that is a medical condition of the hip joint due to age related wear and tear.
  • Hip is the main joint transmitting weight of our body to the ground. But, it pays huge price for this service to the body.
  • Continuous stretch and grinding movement causes wear and tear of the bone and cartilages. So, when the bony processes or surfaces rub together (with no cushion in between) it causes gnawing pain in the hip.
  • Thanks for giving a detailed history that makes it easy to rule out some causes. Your pain typically falls in this category. But, there is still an obvious need for a visit and consultation from an orthopedist.
  • He will have the advantage of examining you physically and will go for thorough diagnostic testing. Once a diagnosis is made, this age related disease can be dealt with accordingly.
  • Your occupation of lifting heavy weights, standing long times at a single place and incorrect postures in daily life also may have contributed to the issues. But, let me add that this is a very common illness in this age group.
  • You need to take Ibuprofen for pain and to reduce inflammation of the joint. Take 400 mg twice daily for 7 days (after meals only). Apply pain relieving ointment on the affected area, massage it gently and give heat to the area with heat pad.
  • When at work, apply heatwraps around the hip joint. It provides heat to the deep tissues while on the go and helps relieve the symptoms quickly.
  • Avoid lifting heavy weight, standing for long in a single posture and at the same place. Keep moving a bit and remain light on daily activities in order to reduce stress on the hip joints.

For further information consult a criticalcare physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/criticalcare-physician

Is this common in mid 40s? I did wonder whether perhaps I had some kind of hernia. But, I do not seem to have any unusual bulges in that area. Do you think I still stand a chance of being rid of this pain one day? Or will it remain the same for my entire lifetime?

#

I feel happy to assist you and answer your follow up query.

• Yes, it is possible to get such pain in this age and as age advances; the chances of starting this pain are more.
  • Yes, with treatment and care you can get a considerable reduction in pain or even complete resolution.
  • If there are no bony spurs (pathologic bony growths) on the hip joint bones, then there are more chances of getting the issue resolved soon.
  • You need to follow the instructions of your orthopedist in this regard, once he constitutes a diagnosis and suggests a management plan.
  • As far as hernia is concerned, it does not seem to be the pain of hernia. If on the physical examination your physician will feel that it may be a cause, then he may definitely refer you for an ultrasound and consultation with a surgeon. The surgeon will rule out and clear the doubts you have regarding hernia.

For further doubts consult a critical care physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/criticalcare-physician

| 

Can problem in the hip cause knee pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have stiffness and pain in thighs and knees for more than a year. I cannot sit properly and stand up instantly. I am having problem in each and every activity involving legs. I have reduced mobility and flexibility of legs. My report shows AVN stage 3 of hip joint, f...  Read Full »

Please give a second opinion on my hip joint pain treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63 year old male. I had polio affected right leg, but have been leading a normal life since then. Recently, I developed pain in the right thigh joint, but able to walk normally. In some positions, it is painful. I have got my MRI study of the hip joint. The report is enclosed here...  Read Full »

Are the leg and hip pain occurred due to fall or Ciprofloxacin taken for UTI?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a UTI that developed into a kidney infection. I also fell down a couple of stairs during this time. I went to the ER hospital (because my doctor is far away and kept being closed) and they prescribed Cipro. I was taking it and my body was soar from fever and falling (possibly). No...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Criticalcare Physician Now