Q. HIV DNA PCR negative at 10 and 13 days. Should I go for more testing?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I have had unprotected oral sex for three minutes and she was not bleeding at the time from what I know. I got tested for proviral DNA PCR qualitative test at 10 days negative and duo test at 13 days negative. Should I go for more testing or consider it conclusive?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Yes, you need further testing at four and 12 weeks. Regards.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Thank you for replying back, but considering the risk and tests, do I need any more testing? I have read oral sex is not a risk for HIV if she is not bleeding.

#

Yes, oral sex carries extremely low risk, but your test at 10 and 13 days are worthless and carries almost no meaning. At least 15 to 18 days are needed for HIV RNA and four weeks for duo test. So, you need further testing at four weeks and 12 weeks.

Hope it helps.

|