Q. HIV DNA PCR negative at 10 and 13 days. Should I go for more testing?

Published on Apr 26, 2018

I have had unprotected oral sex for three minutes and she was not bleeding at the time from what I know. I got tested for proviral DNA PCR qualitative test at 10 days negative and duo test at 13 days negative. Should I go for more testing or consider it conclusive?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Yes, you need further testing at four and 12 weeks. Regards.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you for replying back, but considering the risk and tests, do I need any more testing? I have read oral sex is not a risk for HIV if she is not bleeding.

#

Yes, oral sex carries extremely low risk, but your test at 10 and 13 days are worthless and carries almost no meaning. At least 15 to 18 days are needed for HIV RNA and four weeks for duo test. So, you need further testing at four weeks and 12 weeks.

Hope it helps.

My last HIV risk exposure was three to four years back. Am I safe now?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old white male and tested negative for HIV 1 and 2 in a one-time test three to four years ago. I am not sure if it was a third or fourth generation test. I tested negative with a fourth generation test four months back because I thought I might be having some symptoms. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your test done before four months is certainly conclusive and final. A three months intervening period/window period between risk exposure and a fourth generation HIV screening test is good enough for it to be considered conclusive. 95 % of those infected with HIV will ...  Read Full

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Below are the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. Usua...  Read Full

Which HIV test can be done nine days after possible exposure?

Query: Hello doctor,I did deep kissing like nine days ago with a girl that had HIV. Of course, I knew that after. And while it was dark, I was kissing her body too but because I did not have condom we did not have sex. Is it possible to get HIV by kissing her body or contacts with a body rash or something ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. Kissing is safe as far as the risk of HIV is concerned unless she had oral sores or bleeding gums which may increase the risk. Kissing on the skin is also not a risk. HIV is only transmitted through unprotected sex - either vaginal, anal ...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now