Q. Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?

Dr. Kakkar

I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vagina came in touch with my penis. And also I ran my fingers on the vagina. I did not have any kind of penetrative sex, frottage or deep fingering or oral. After that episode, on the eighth day, I had a fever, body pains, and chills for two days. After two days of fever, I had some rise in temperature in the afternoon and used to get normal in the evening which lasted for two weeks but had some body pain and weakness.

After two weeks, I had some sweats in the night with no fever for a week. Now I do not have any other symptoms but for the last few days, I started having some pain in thigh muscles. When I stretch my legs, I do not feel any pain but when I bend or sit in the chair, I start feeling some kind of soreness and sharp pain in thigh muscles and suddenly in around groin area and inner thigh. When I press the area where I have pain, it becomes normal. I work out a lot and stopped for the last five weeks due to the illnesses. I am a little worried. I have been reading a lot of ARS symptoms on the internet and it is making me restless and I am suffering with a lot of anxiety. Now I am in the week six after the episode.

Do you have a question on Hiv or Hiv Risk Factors?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Kakkar

MBBS., MD
Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology

HIV is only transmitted through direct unprotected sex that either involves contact with infected genital surfaces or through the exchange of infectious genital secretions like semen or vaginal fluids. Skin to skin contact as in body massage is absolutely safe. Mere contact of the outside of vagina with your penis without any penetration and running your fingers over vagina is not a risk for transmission of HIV. Moreover, the symptoms that you have are non-specific and could be seen in a common viral infection. I suggest you take symptomatic treatment like an OTC (over-the-counter) painkiller like Flexon (Nickel Titanium) tablet or Combiflam (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) tablet, for symptomatic relief, if you feel any muscle pain.

Your answer really helps. Do you want me to go through any lab tests?

Dr. Kakkar

MBBS., MD

I will not suggest any screening tests for any of the STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). However, you may take a few basic laboratory tests like a complete blood count (CBC) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), blood sugar (fasting), thyroid profile, vitamin D levels. Take care.

I took PEP after 42 hours of HIV exposure. Am I safe?
Query: Hello doctor,I had protected vaginal intercourse with an HIV positive woman and I had taken PEP after 42 hours of exposure. I was texted negative at the baseline with PCR RNA test and post completing PEP my blood was drawn again for PCR RNA test and it took five days to get the results. I am very ha...  Read Full »
Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes. In my practice, I have couples who are serodiscordant and still remain negative even after unprotected sexual activity and even they would not use PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). The reason is, sexual transmission has the least chance of acquiring HIV comparing ...  Read Full »

What is the risk of getting an STD from a stained bed linen?
Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a pap smear done. The bed on which I lay had a stain, which I am assuming was, from the person before me. The doctor had to put a finger inside my vagina to check my ovaries. So, if she mistakenly touched the stain, before inserting her finger into my vagina, am I at a...  Read Full »
Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not worry. Doctors never touch anything with gloved hands before touching you. And, even if she did touch the stain, it is less likely that you will get an STD (sexually transmitted disease). For more information consult an internal medicine physician online...  Read Full »

HIV DNA PCR negative at 10 and 13 days. Should I go for more testing?
Query: Hello doctor,I have had unprotected oral sex for three minutes and she was not bleeding at the time from what I know. I got tested for proviral DNA PCR qualitative test at 10 days negative and duo test at 13 days negative. Should I go for more testing or consider it conclusive?  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need further testing at four and 12 weeks. Regards. For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now