Q. Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vagina came in touch with my penis. And also I ran my fingers on the vagina. I did not have any kind of penetrative sex, frottage or deep fingering or oral. After that episode, on the eighth day, I had a fever, body pains, and chills for two days. After two days of fever, I had some rise in temperature in the afternoon and used to get normal in the evening which lasted for two weeks but had some body pain and weakness.

After two weeks, I had some sweats in the night with no fever for a week. Now I do not have any other symptoms but for the last few days, I started having some pain in thigh muscles. When I stretch my legs, I do not feel any pain but when I bend or sit in the chair, I start feeling some kind of soreness and sharp pain in thigh muscles and suddenly in around groin area and inner thigh. When I press the area where I have pain, it becomes normal. I work out a lot and stopped for the last five weeks due to the illnesses. I am a little worried. I have been reading a lot of ARS symptoms on the internet and it is making me restless and I am suffering with a lot of anxiety. Now I am in the week six after the episode.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

HIV is only transmitted through direct unprotected sex that either involves contact with infected genital surfaces or through the exchange of infectious genital secretions like semen or vaginal fluids. Skin to skin contact as in body massage is absolutely safe. Mere contact of the outside of vagina with your penis without any penetration and running your fingers over vagina is not a risk for transmission of HIV. Moreover, the symptoms that you have are non-specific and could be seen in a common viral infection. I suggest you take symptomatic treatment like an OTC (over-the-counter) painkiller like Flexon (Nickel Titanium) tablet or Combiflam (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) tablet, for symptomatic relief, if you feel any muscle pain.

| 

Your answer really helps. Do you want me to go through any lab tests?

Dr. Kakkar

#

I will not suggest any screening tests for any of the STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). However, you may take a few basic laboratory tests like a complete blood count (CBC) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), blood sugar (fasting), thyroid profile, vitamin D levels. Take care.

|