Q. Is it normal to get hepatitis B vaccine even before starting HIV medications?

Dr. Kakkar

I just found I am HIV positive, but I am not on medication yet. My CD4/viral load count is 445 /22,500. I do have issues with my liver enzyme AST=87, ALT=201, ferritin =800, but negative for hepatitis B. The doctor wants to protect my liver, so she gave me first hepatitis B vaccine.

My concern is if this is the right decision because I am not on HIV medication yet and I do not want to see my viral load count increase by B vaccine. My doctor wants me to start medication for HIV, so I am planning to take Genvoya.

I am scheduled for an ultrasound and fiber scan for my liver in a month. My concern is starting the medication a right decision for my situation before I know the condition of my liver. I am starting to get a feeling "do I have the right doctor for me?"

I read about Genvoya and it is saying that it is not recommended for people with severe liver impairment. I do not think I have "severe liver impairment."

I need advice. Is my doctor's decision getting hepatitis B before HIV medication is the right choice? Should I just follow my doctor and start medication?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I think it is the right decision to vaccinate against hepatitis B because it protects you against future exposures to this virus.

Hepatitis B is having the same routes of transmission as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) vaccination.

Hepatitis B does not interfere with HIV infection.

A CD4 count of less than 500 is an indication to start ARV (antiretrovirals).

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|