Q. Had anal sex with a HIV positive person. What is the chance of infection?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

My partner is HIV positive. We had anal rubbing, but we used protection (condom). Also, there was no discharge and not even precum. The anus was also dry during that time. What is the chance of me getting affected?

#

• A known case of HIV is always a potential candidate for transfer of infection. However, the infectivity levels differ according to his stage of disease, CD4 count and viral load titers.
  • Anal intercourse does have a higher risk of disease transmission than the other modes of intercourse. However, as adequate protection was used, there is no need to panic.
  • It would be advisable to visit the nearest ICTC center (integrated counseling and testing center) at the earliest and discuss with them regarding post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) in view of attempted intercourse with a known case of HIV.
  • Your risk is very minimal, but would advise you to take a four week course of PEP medication after discussing the pros and cons of it.

1. HIV by ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) at baseline and repeat at 1 and 3 months.
2) HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen).
3) Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus).
4) VDRL (venereal disease research limited).

Revert back with the reports to a HIV AIDS specialist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|