Q. How to go ahead with hormone replacement therapy?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Apr 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I take Clorazepate, Quetiapine, Akineton (Biperiden), Ludiomil (Maprotiline) and Lyrica (Pregabalin). I am wondering whether I can go ahead with hormone replacement therapy which includes Estrogen and Spironolactone.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• I would like to know first for what purpose you are on these medicines?
  • What is your purpose of planning to go for hormone replacement?

Revert back with the asked details to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

I am a male to female transsexual.

Dr. Divakara P

#

I still need more information.

Akineton (Biperiden) is a drug used in a neurological disease called Parkinson's disease and Maprotiline is an antidepressant drug. You have not mentioned why you are on these drugs.

As of safety, the above mentioned medicines with HRT (hormone replacement therapy) is concerned, it can be taken together. There are no such significant interactions between these medications at your age.

• In fourth or fifth decade of life some heart problems may arise. If regular testing is done, then that can be avoided.
  • But, I presume you have go through the risk of taking HRT as HRT by themselves comes with lot of side effects.

Revert back with the details to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

I apologize for not being enough descriptive. I take Akineton because I had a severe anxiety attack which led to muscle spasm and loss of control of my facial muscles. I also had trouble breathing during the attack. It has been well over two months since my attack and I have had no spasm or loss of muscle control (with the medication) and I am breathing fine now. So, I feel I am completely healed now. I have no idea whether the spasm and loss of muscle control will come back if I stop taking the Akineton. As for the other drugs I am taking for depression and for calming down my nerves and anxiety. Should I be fine with starting the hormone replacement therapy? Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Dr. Divakara P

#

• Yes, you can go ahead with HRT since your muscle spasms have stopped now.
  • Akineton can be first reduced in dosage and eventually stopped. Kindly discuss this with your treating doctor.

For further doubts consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full »

Having chemotherapy for stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma. Is it right?

Query: Hi doctor, The first case of cancer was on stage 3 ER+ invasive cancer of the left breast. Now, it is in stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma, with results of ER positive, PR positive, and HER2 with equivocal recurrent cancer. The site of disease is present on the abdominal lymph nodes and omentum w...  Read Full »

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now