Q. I have a few lesions on my penis. Could it be HPV?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 11, 2019

I had a few lesions on my penis and suspecting as HPV. I remember first I noticed these before five months after a lady in massage center rubbed my penis with her buttock for her tips. I did not have any intercourse at that time. Last month, I gave HPV swab and biopsy tests, but nothing got diagnosed. I do not think there is an FDA approved screening test for males.

Last month doctor removed those lesions using laser, now my doubt is these lesions can lead to cancer? If yes, only penile cancer or this virus can transfer to throat and head and can cause head/neck cancers? Now if I have HPV vaccination, that will be helpful? Any immunity supplements can help to cure HPV? For the safer side, I have given HIV antigen and antibody test twice after 14, and 28 days of my last sexual encounter (had oral sex with a condom) results are negative.

1 st test value is 0.18 and the second test value is 0.36 and as per the lab report it of the index. Increase in antibodies value in the later test is fine or abnormal?

#

The HPV infection is caused by a group of viruses called Human papillomaviruses. Majority of them are self-limiting and do not produce any symptoms. Most common viruses that cause warts are type 6 and 11, and they are harmless, whereas types 16 and 18 cause cancer. Now in your case, I need to know the type of virus found in the lesion. If that is negative for HPV, you need not worry. HPV spreads sexually and can spread to genitals, rectum, mouth or throat, and condom can offer protection though not complete.The HPV vaccine does offer protection, and you can go for it. There are no provided supplements that can enhance immunity. Your HIV antigen as well antibody titers are within normal limits, and you need not worry about it. My only suggestion is to avoid high-risk sexual behavior, which reduces sexually transmitted altogether. Please get back to me if you need any more clarification.

As there is no method to identify HPV in males. I do not know about the HPV type? Basing on my symptoms could you please answer me the below question? Last month doctor removed those lesions using laser, and now my doubt is these lesions can lead to cancer? If yes, only penile cancer or this virus can transfer to throat and head and can cause head cancer?

#

The laser ablates the lesion, and hence, one does not get any tissue for histopathological diagnosis. If one receives the lesion resected and from which, if there is a diagnosis of HPV infection, then it was possible to answer your query about prognosis. Since you do not have a histopathological diagnosis of your lesion with you, definitive opinion concerning the future possibilities of cancer cannot be made out. However, the clinician who treated your lesion might likely have lased it only after finding it clinical benign variant, based on the clinical profile.

As far as chances of head cancer are concerned, there is absolutely no chance. However, in case you had high-risk type HPV lesion and if you had unprotected peno oral sex, then there are chances of similar injuries in mouth and throat of your partner, which can progress to cancer if they belong to a high-risk group such as type 16/18. It appears you are more bothered by the anxiety of having cancer than the HPV. I advise you not to be anxious and carry on with the routine, without much worry as you do not have any lesion now and have started avoiding high-risk sexual behavior.

|