Q. I had oral sex with confirmed HIV positive guy. What are my chances of infection?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

I am a 29-year-old male homosexual. I had a sexual encounter 15 days back with a confirmed HIV positive guy. I gave him blow job with a condom and we smooched. He also blew me but I was not putting on a condom and when he spit out, there was a streak of blood in the spit. He says he has sinus problem so he has blood in the spit, not in the mouth. I checked his mouth there were no sores or bleeding gums. What are my chances of infection in this case? We did not ejaculate in each others mouth nor we had any kind of penetrative sex. I came to know two days back that he is positive. I am showing acute HIV symptoms burning eyes, nose, and lips. I am unable to sleep. Can I go for RNA PCR? After how many days will the RNA PCR be accurate?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

There is certainly a sizeable risk of transmission. Since he spit the blood, whatever may be a source, meaning he has had viruses in his oral cavity. HIV RNA or p24 antigen test, both are equally good becomes positive in one to two weeks period after infection, so you may get tested now. However, it is better to get combined p24 or RNA and antibody testing done. Burning eyes, nose, not necessarily mean HIV. Repeat testing should be done after two weeks.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

As per your advice, I went for p24 antigen test and the reports I am attaching here. This test is exactly on the 12th day. Kindly tell is it reliable? I am waiting for my RNA PCR results.

#

Yes, as I mentioned above, these tests become positive after one to two weeks so considering done on the 12th day, these should have been positive in the majority of HIV infected patients. Also, there is a probability that we can miss as this is no cent percent. So you should get another same test done at four weeks.

|