Q. Will there be any cure for HPV in the near future?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

How common is HPV in our country?

Do you have a question on Hpv or Cervical Cancer?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS
Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine

• Cervical cancer is the name of the disease caused by HPV (human papillomavirus) and this is leading cancer in women of our country and the second most common cancer worldwide. This means its frequency is very high here.
  • The women at risk are 15 years of age and above. The population in this age group is above 366 million women. Every year, unfortunately, over 75,000 women die of cervical cancer. That accounts for almost one-third of the cervical cancer deaths worldwide. From these facts, you can well imagine, how prevalent this disease is in this region of the world.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more if you need further assistance. I would be happy to answer any queries.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. There is already a vaccine available for HPV, but I wanted to know is there any cure for HPV on the way in the near future?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Yes, two types of cervical cancer vaccines are available along with other methods, to prevent the disease. Fewer individuals affected means fewer cases. But there are controversies debatable due to cost effectiveness, patient compliance for screening and vaccination especially the booster dosages. There are many cervical cancer research programs working to assist the population with prevention and cure of the disease.
  • The most effective way to prevent the disease is lifetime mutual monogamy and abstinence. There is no single treatment or cure available for genital warts caused by sexually transmitted HPV infection. Warts usually go away on their own although we can also remove visible lesions until the body's immune system clears off the viruses.
  • Cervical cancer needs treatment and the goal is to eliminate the bad cells (dysplastic lesions).
  • Sometimes, there are no clear-cut symptoms and the disease is then called 'subclinical'. We do not treat that. If the visible warts are treated and they are all gone, even then there is a high rate of recurrence as the virus remains hidden in the normal healthy skin around the lesions.
  • Among eradication methods for the lesions, surgical excision, cryotherapy, and chemical ablation are some.
  • There are a lot of medications to treat patients to some extent. But there is no definitive single drug of choice that can cure all the patients with HPV today. Maybe in the near future, we may produce some magical drug. But the most effective way will still be prevention in the first place as this virus is difficult to treat and the recurrence rate is also high.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more queries. I would be happy to assist.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer to my query. Are there any reliable tests available in the market for men to detect the HPV? There is this test available called 'Human papillomavirus detection and genotyping, qualitative, PCR' Would it be reliable?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS

Thanks for your kind words.

• Genital lesions (warts) and cutaneous lesions can be diagnosed clinically just by examining the patients. Lesions that are difficult to detect can be tested with acetic acid test and by performing a biopsy of the lesion. Genital carcinomas may also involve colonoscopy to see the extent of the disease.
  • Yes, HPV DNA can be detected by PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and it is reliable.
  • The other method to detect DNA of the virus is Hybrid Capture II (HC II). We can also determine the specific subtype or strain of virus (the genotyping) via DNA hybridization studies. We can also detect antibodies against HPV through ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test.
  • Some new inventions in HPV tests are under development phase include DNA chip, Linear Array, and cycle sequencing.

Hope it helps. Thanks again.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can HPV be transmitted by kissing?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a few warts on my leg and a barely noticeable wart on my penis. My doctor said that they look like HPV. He advised me to apply antifungal and steroid cream and wear condoms. The cream was not very effective even after four days. Can it be something other than HPV? Will condom...  Read Full »
Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, a condom will prevent transmission. No, HPV will not get transmitted by kissing. The lesion on your leg can be due to HPV (human papillomavirus), but its probability is low. Genital warts regress spontaneously within months or years, but, the guideli...  Read Full »

Is this brown spot I developed, a wart or a symptom of HPV?
Query: Hello doctor, A few months ago, a doctor told me that I had a genital wart. It looked like a flat mole to me. Eventually, it was removed. I want to know if this brown spot I developed recently is also a wart or a symptom of HPV.  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Genital wart is caused by a virus, human papillomavirus (HPV). It is contagious, can spread from one person to another and can also spread to surrounding areas of the skin. I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a flat brown...  Read Full »

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?
Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cancer in oral cavity and larynx has many clear risk factors including smoking and alcohol consumption. Although human papilloma virus (type 16) is found in most oral and laryngeal cancers. There is no evidence that it is the cause of cancer. There are many studies on t...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now