Q. Why am I feeling hungry always?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

I am 32 years old. My weight is 88 kg and height is 5'8". I am feeling hungry always and gaining weight too fast. Is there any medicine to curb hunger? Please guide.

#

• Hunger is a complex phenomenon controlled by both brain and the stomach.
  • The stomach when empty goes for hunger contraction and the excess gastric acid together give sensation of hunger.
  • The medications which reduce hunger act on other centers of the brain apart from hunger center leading to undesired side effects like euphoria (feeling delight), anxiety, increased libido, alertness, sociability, irritability and aggression.
  • Also, the drug is notorious for its addiction capabilities and serious withdrawal effects.
  • Hence, doctors would not recommend medication to alter the hunger, rather train the stomach and brain to control the stimulus and prevent hunger which can be achieved with practice.
  • Meanwhile, I would suggest you to take tablet Prilosec (Omeprazole) 20 mg once a day early in the morning before breakfast to reduce acid production and hence curb hunger feeling.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How many days should I take the medicine which you have suggested?

#

• You can take it for three weeks, daily once in the morning before breakfast.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|