Q. After running, I could not breathe for an hour. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am an 18 year old female. My height is 5'6" and I weigh about 120 pounds. I live in a city where we do not have much air pollution. I have no records of medical problems except a few years back I had some mild acid reflux. I believe it was reflux, since it went away after using Gaviscon. But, my general physician did not diagnose me. About two months ago, after I went for a very fast run I felt like I could not breathe for an hour. Since then, I have been having the feeling of not being able to get enough air when I take deep breaths. I also have been constantly clearing my throat due to mucus in the back of my throat. I have been experiencing some burn in my upper abdomen. It is not so severe and it goes away with some Gaviscon. I feel nauseous when I feel the burning. I am worrying myself by thinking that there is something wrong with my heart or my lungs. If you could help me that would be great. Thank you.

#

There are two important elements here that need treatment.

• Avoid running after eating and last meal of the day should be 2 hours before going to bed. Avoid sweets and very spicy food especially after dinner. Take a complete course for six weeks.
  • Second one is asthma. It also appears that you have seasonal or exercise induced asthma. I would suggest getting a pulmonary function test (PFTs) to confirm it.
  • Start Montelukast 10 mg daily and Albuterol inhaler on as needed basis. Use this treatment at least through spring and summer. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|