Q. Unborn baby is diagnosed with hydrocephaly in the 34th week. Kindly advise.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Sep 05, 2019

Our unborn baby is diagnosed with hydrocephaly in the 34th week (now). We were totally shocked because the doctors in the clinic said that this disease must have been detected much earlier (where we live). Unfortunately, on the ultrasonic image the ventricles can be seen filled with a fluid almost entirely. We were told three times that the baby has got a very bad prognosis and yet we still do not know anything. We will have an MR scan in a week and my spouse is going to have a CS in the 37th week and she is very anxious. What can we expect?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please do not be so anxious. A pediatrician and a pediatric neurosurgeon opinion should be taken for the same. TORCH infection needs to be ruled out in both the mother and the baby. If all is well and baby is born, a ventriculoperitoneal shunt operation may be done (based on MRI brain of the new born baby) for the baby to drain the excess fluid. Another possibility would be a vein of Galen malformation, but that would be diagnosed only after the child is born.

| 

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Fetus revealed with mild hydrocephalus. Is it a serious condition?

Query: Hi doctor, Mild hydrocephalus shown with breech presentation in 36 weeks ultrasound scan. None of the previous report showed any abnormality. Genetic test done earlier in 2nd trimester was also normal. I want to understand what should be the next step for a healthy and sound mother and baby. I had a...  Read Full »