Q. Do ear infection and constant ear pain indicate any eardrum problem?

Answered by Dr. Shyam Kalyan N and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ruptured Eardrum or Ear Pain? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

The patient had three tympanoplasty surgeries in the past, the most recent being a decade ago. She has 10 % hearing in one ear where surgery was performed. Recently, the patient developed an ear infection. Black and white fungus detected in the air. ENT used a micro-suction device to remove the fungus which was successful, but the suction device caused some bleeding in the ear. ENT prescribed Tobrex for the ear. This caused the patient extreme pain and was discontinued after three days. The ear canal became very inflamed. A yellow discharge started coming out of the ear. The new doctor prescribed Levofloxacin antibiotics, Prednisolone, and Naproxen for pain relief. The patient still continues to suffer from extreme pain in the ear.