Q. Does an untreated hydrosalpinx of one fallopian tube spread to another tube?

If hydrosalpinx in one fallopian tube is left untreated, will another tube also get affected?

Thanks.

#

The most common causes of hydrosalpinx are pelvic inflammatory disease or pelvic infection. It is advisable to take antibiotics for two weeks before planing salpingectomy. Also, there are high chances that when one fallopian tube is affected, the other tube will also get affected in due course.

And hydrosalpinx affects fertility.

Thanks for the reply.

I have never had unprotected sex or STI. Then what is the reason for my hydrosalpinx? If the other tube is likely to get affected, is it essential to seek treatment quickly?

Thanks.

#

Thanks for the follow-up query.

The causes for hydrosalpinx can be a pelvic infection, blocked fallopian tube opening, STI (sexually transmitted infections), adhesions around the tube, or endometriosis.

I suggest you do a high vaginal swab culture to rule out any vaginal infections and a pelvis ultrasound to check for infections or fluid in the pouch of Douglas. If the cause is an infection, it can quickly spread peritoneally to the other tube.

Hence, it would be advisable to seek treatment immediately.

|