Q. Kindly help me know the treatment option for hydrosalpinx other than salpingectomy.

Dr. Nikitha Murthy

I have been diagnosed with bilateral hydrosalpinx, and the doctor suggested a bilateral salpingectomy as a treatment option. I just wanted to know the treatment option other than the mentioned one.

Kindly help.

#

I went through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Your hysterosalpingogram (HSG) shows dilatation on both sides of the tube with fluid-filled in it. This is called hydrosalpinx. Both the tubes are therefore blocked.

I suggest the following;

1) Kindly go for IVF (in vitro fertilization).

2) Before IVF, the tubes need to be detached from the uterus. There are two ways of doing this, either completely removing the tubes or clipping the tubes so that the fluid from the tubes does not wash away the embryos in the uterus. This fluid can also be toxic and will not allow the embryo to implant.

3) Your uterus ultrasound shows small growths called polyps. These need to be removed before IVF via hysteroscopy. Both the second and third procedures can be done in the same sitting.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Does clipping the tube have any effects once you conceive? Will the clipping open up if not correctly done? Will the toxic material go back into the uterus and harm the fetus?

Kindly help.

#

Clipping or delinking does not reverse by itself. Once it is done, it is safe. The toxic fluid does not harm the embryo.

|