Q. I am 33 weeks pregnant and I have a few growths around the entrance of vagina. Why do I get this?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I am 33 weeks pregnant. At the beginning of my pregnancy, I noticed a few growths around the entrance to my vagina, which I ignored. I have recently looked and I am concerned that there are more and they have grown. I have taken photos and wanted to speak to a gynecologist. Please help.

#

I have gone through the description you mentioned, and also had a look at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I do not feel anything appears to be abnormal. The structures you mentioned appear to be more like hymenal tags or vaginal mucosal tags which is not anything to be bothered about. They do not even appear to be like genital warts too.

If there are no other symptoms like pain, itching, irritation, or any discomfort, or increase in numbers, it would be advisable to just wait and observe. If you feel they are increasing in size rapidly or number over time, it would be advisable to have check up with your gynecologist to determine the exact nature of the outgrowths. As of now it seems perfectly normal to me in the picture, so you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy time.

Could these be caused by pregnancy? Is there any treatment for this cosmetically or will they either go away on their own or need removal? I am concerned that they have grown and there are many of them around my vaginal entrance.

#

It is just the mucosal flaps after the hymen rupture. Mostly because of pregnancy hormonal induced tissue swelling, and relaxation effect, you may be feeling them prominently nowadays.

They do not need any treatment as it is just the vaginal mucosal tissue. They must have been there from before, but just that you may be feeling them more often these days.

You can get them removed if they bother you too much after your delivery when the tissues do not come back to normal on nonpregnant status post six weeks of delivery.

Consult your gynecologist regarding this on your next visit. Once they feel those structure, maybe you can be a bit more assured that this is not something to worry at all.

|