Q. I feel slight pain when a part of my leg skin is lightly touched by clothes or hand. Is it allodynia?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

A portion of my skin in my right leg feels sensitive, or I feel a little pain when it is lightly touched by the clothes or hand. I have started to feel the pain, I think 3 to 5 days now, and it does not go away. I searched online to find what it is, and I think it is similar to allodynia. By the way, I am not sure if my previous condition was related to my current condition, I always have an issue with my right shoulder and right arm, and the doctor said it is a muscle spasm. At first, my right shoulder hurts, then the pain extends up to my right arm. I have been experiencing this concern for about 2 to 3 years now. The pain goes on and off.

Also, I had an eardrum reconstruction surgery last year in my right ear. I am not sure if it is related.

#

The hypersensitivity is caused by the effect on the nerve can due to any reason. It may be from the spinal cord to the region in the leg. A problem anywhere can cause this kind of an issue. You need to get yourself evaluated clinically by a neurologist. As the MRI is quite old, you cannot rely on that. Further evaluation with MRI only if required and nerve conduction study might be required.

As a symptomatic treatment, Pregabalin or Gabapentin can be used but only after clinical evaluation and if considered by the treating doctor.

|