Q. I get shooting pain in lower back and buttocks. Does it need chiropractic treatment?

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

I am a 31-year-old male. I currently have unbearable pain in my lower back and buttocks area. Every time I get up, the pain gets much worse and feel shooting pain down my leg, which gets me to a point that I have to pause two to five seconds. I went to a chiropractor yesterday and he wants me to go for treatment. It is a bit pricey at this point. I do have images of the x-rays and will upload them once I submit my query.

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have studied your case. Medications like Methylcobalamine with Pregabalin and analgesic will reduce pain. You can take them consulting your treating doctor.

Some exercises which can be done after pain have reduced include spine extension exercises, lying on your stomach flat and lift the leg six inches from the ground. Do it for other leg also. Now lift both hands and legs simultaneously, six inches off the ground and stay. Position for around ten breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.

You may consult a physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation), or IFT (interferential therapy) which is helpful in your case. If you have started it continue it for a few more days.

Some lifestyle modifications to prevent pain: Take a break for every 40 minutes from work and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and do not watch television constantly. I will advise to check your vitamin B12. If no relief with these medications then epidural steroid injection can be given. You may need to reduce weight.

|