Q. I am pregnant and hypothyroid. Please comment on my thyroid function test report.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

I am 16 weeks pregnant and hypothyroid. I am currently taking 75 mg per day of Eutirox (Synthroid) during weekdays and 100 mg per day on the weekends. About a month ago, I got my TSH and FT4 levels tested and the results are:

TSH 1.65 mU/L

FT4 16.6 pmol/L

Reference values: 1st trimester 12.1-19.6, 2nd trimester 9.6-17.0, 3rd trimester 8.4-15.6.

Today I got my TSH and FT4 levels tested again, these are my results:

TSH 2.91 mU/L

FT4 15.9 pmol/L

Antibodies: HTG.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your requirement is increased during pregnancy. You have not mentioned what was the dose that you were taking before getting pregnant.

However, you can increase the dose from the current twice per week 100 mcg that you are taking to thrice per week 100 mcg and 75 mcg for the rest of the four remaining days of the week.

Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks and then we will review again. You need to repeat your thyroid function test throughout the pregnancy every six weeks.

| 

Before I get pregnant, I was taking 50 mg per day during weekdays and 100 mg per day during the weekends.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Just follow my instructions and repeat the test after six weeks.

| 

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

Will low T4 levels affect the baby's brain development during the first 5 weeks of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am five weeks pregnant now. Currently, my T3 is 1.05 ng/mL, T4 is 5.0 μg/dL, TSH is 27.62 μIU/mL. I started Thyronorm 75 mcg today. What if my T4 was low from the past five weeks? Has it affected my baby already? Will it affect the baby's brain development?  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now