Q. I am pregnant and hypothyroid. Please comment on my thyroid function test report.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

I am 16 weeks pregnant and hypothyroid. I am currently taking 75 mg per day of Eutirox (Synthroid) during weekdays and 100 mg per day on the weekends. About a month ago, I got my TSH and FT4 levels tested and the results are:

TSH 1.65 mU/L

FT4 16.6 pmol/L

Reference values: 1st trimester 12.1-19.6, 2nd trimester 9.6-17.0, 3rd trimester 8.4-15.6.

Today I got my TSH and FT4 levels tested again, these are my results:

TSH 2.91 mU/L

FT4 15.9 pmol/L

Antibodies: HTG.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your requirement is increased during pregnancy. You have not mentioned what was the dose that you were taking before getting pregnant.

However, you can increase the dose from the current twice per week 100 mcg that you are taking to thrice per week 100 mcg and 75 mcg for the rest of the four remaining days of the week.

Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks and then we will review again. You need to repeat your thyroid function test throughout the pregnancy every six weeks.

| 

Before I get pregnant, I was taking 50 mg per day during weekdays and 100 mg per day during the weekends.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Just follow my instructions and repeat the test after six weeks.

|