Q. Is it possible for a hypothyroid patient to develop diabetes?

Dr. Nadeem Abootty
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

I am hypothyroid. Thyroid gland destroyed by Radioactive Iodine 14 years ago. My fasting blood sugar level is always in the range of 6.1 to 6.5. I have tried intermittent fasting even after 22 hours it does not drop below 6.0. Postprandial is in the range of 9.5-10.4. I do not have any sugar or rice or bread in my diet. Only carbohydrates is brown chapatis. Am I Type 2 diabetic? I take 200 mcg Levothyroxine everyday.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Nadeem Abootty

Diabetology
#

From your history it is evident that you are on replacement therapy for hypothyroidism post-radioactive iodine,and also known diabetic since 6 months. From your history, age and other parameters it is type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is not only carbohydrates which contributes to the same. Insulin resistance is the main culprit.

From the details above it is clear your blood sugars are not under good control (hbA1C 8.8). I would recommend to monitor your blood sugars at different point of time to know at which time it is increasing. (That is monitoring before and 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner using a glucometer) and want to adjust your diabetic medications accordingly.

lifestyle modification
Diabetic diet
regular aerobic exercises for about 30min a day
avoid simple sugars, juices, fruit with high glycemic index
modify oral antihypoglycemic agents according to blood sugars

| 

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Please suggest a cure for dark skin around pubic region.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male. I have type 1 diabetes for the past seven years. I am using Insulin pump with Novo Rapid insulin for 4 years now. From the past six months, the skin around my pubic region is becoming dark. It is not itchy, but it is dark compared to the whole body complexion...  Read Full »

Having PCOS, How to regularize the menstrual cycle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am really worried and fed up with my fat thighs and hips. As I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I used to miss my menses. Now, my menstruation is regular. But, whenever I skip physical exercise I am sure that I will miss my menses. I think these all...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now