Q. I took I-pill before 4 days and had intercourse again. Do I need to retake I-pill?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I took an I-pill and did intercourse again in four days. Do I need to retake I-pill in the gap of four days? Or will it cover for the whole week?

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

For getting pregnant, the sperms have to be ejaculated in the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg. The fertilized egg then needs to be implanted in the uterus of the female. When all this happens successfully, the female is said to have conceived.

The egg's availability is subject to release from the ovary, which is dependent upon the ovulation pattern and menstrual cycle of the female. So I request you to please share the details of your last menstrual period with me.

Now the emergency contraceptive pill like I-pill works at three different stages. Firstly it prevents the release of an egg from the ovary, and then if the egg is already there, it prevents fertilization of the egg and also creates an unfavorable condition in the uterus for implantation of the egg.

In your case, you have already taken one four days back, so ideally, it can provide some protection against unplanned pregnancy, but it cannot be 100% sure. So you may take one I-pill but do not take any more in the next at least two weeks as it will be some overdose. Use barrier contraceptives like a condom in your future intercourse, or you may consider taking regular birth control pills to prevent unplanned pregnancy.

Also, share the details as asked to enable me to help you better.

|