Q. I had periods after intercourse. Will it be implantation bleeding?

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal
Published on Apr 26, 2016

I am a 24 year old unmarried lady. Now, I am in a very panic period of stress and in seek of your advice. I had intercourse with my fiance on the first day of my periods and again after 20 days that is on my most fertile day. I got my periods 13 days later and it lasted for around three days. First two days of the periods were little heavy compared to the third day. Usually my periods are a bit heavy and will last for at least five days. I am worried about pregnancy after reading articles on implantation bleeding. In order to get rid of this confusion I took two home pregnancy tests and both came up negative. Later on I underwent a beta-hCG test and the value was 8.33. As it was more than 5, I went for another test in two days and the value got down to 0.75. Now please tell me whether I am pregnant or not.

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand your concern.

• As per your history it appears that you are not pregnant.
  • You have not got delayed periods. As you have got periods after 13 days the possibility of implantation bleeding cannot be ruled out.
  • Regarding pregnancy, the possibility is nil.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Please explain me regarding implantation bleeding. Are there any chances of ectopic pregnancy with respect to my beta-hCG values? Are there any chances of normal pregnancy? Please clear my doubt.

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I meant to say that implantation bleeding is only of few hours and usually it is red to brown color. It will last for one whole day.
  • To be pregnant, either ectopic or intrauterine you need to have delayed periods by 7 to 10 days which is not the case with you.
  • So, overall I can say that you are not pregnant. To be more sure you can get one ultrasound pelvis done.
  • For beta-hCG decrease I do not think you need to worry much. In ectopic pregnancy too, the test comes fairly positive.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will I get an ectopic pregnancy if I had sex on the date of period?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a query about my period. My actual due date for my period was 28th of last month. I had unprotected sex on the 27th. I waited two days for my period and I took emergency contraceptive on the last minute to 72 hour. My period got delayed for eight days and got it on the 5th of thi...  Read Full »

How to avoid recurrence of ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had an ectopic pregnancy seven months ago. Through a surgery right side fallopian tube was removed at that time. Now what kind of treatment does she need to avoid ectopic pregnancy again? Please suggest.  Read Full »

How to identify an ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my report. Can you please have a look and let me know is it a cyst or an ectopic pregnancy?  Read Full »