Q. What could be the reason for my chronic diarrhea and abdominal pain despite the normal test reports?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

I am 22, almost 23 years old, male. For over a year now, I have had uncontrollable bowel movements. It consists of diarrhea 90 % of the time, and I constantly have gas pains. Six out of seven days, I continually have abdominal pain and mid to lower back pain, and I always feel the need to defecate. After defecating, I still do not have any relief. I defecate one up to the eight times a day. I have been to several doctors and still do not have a diagnosis. They did a colonoscopy and two endoscopes and said it was all normal. During both procedures, they took a biopsy of my colon and small intestine. I have had several blood tests and stool cultures, which have also returned to normal. I was tested for Crohn's disease, celiac disease, and ulcerative colitis, all of which I did not have any of these. Do you have any information on what this could be? Please let me know. I am ready to be back to my normal life.

#

I understand your concern.

There is a condition called inflammatory bowel syndrome, and the symptoms are similar. Since all the investigation is clear, I strongly suspect it is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms can often be reduced by changing your diet, lifestyle, and medication. The causes of IBD include overactivity of the nerves or muscles of the gut. The cause of IBD is not understood, but research has proven that the overactivity of nerves sends messages from the brain to the gut. In addition, stress or emotional upset may play a role. IBS may start symptoms of stress. Symptoms tend to become worse during times of stress or anxiety. It would be best if you follow the following factors.

1. Avoid fiber; various research studies showed that a high-fiber diet could make IBS worse.

2. The use of only probiotics will be beneficial.

3. Good sleep.

4. No smoking.

5. Relaxation and meditation can be done.

6. Avoid too much stress.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

|