Q. I consumed alcohol and walked for one hour, my heart rate increased. Why?

Published on Oct 19, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 22, 2019

I had wine and beer at a dinner party, after which I decided to go for a walk for about one hour. While walking, my heart rate increased to 133 bpm, then lowered to 116 bpm. I went home and sat down, waiting for my rate to recover under 100 bpm. It was 112 bpm after two to three minutes and dropped to 103 bpm. Then it took 17 minutes to drop down to 93 bpm.

I did stress echo, echo, ECG, full blood panel and holter monitor. All results are clear.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This is likely due to the effect of alcohol, coupled with your baseline anxiety and activities. Normally, the heart rate goes up whenever one does activities like walking. But due to the effect of alcohol, heart rate elevation was persistent. Also, there must be some component of anxiety, as well. So mere heart rate elevation does not suggest any particular abnormalities. Most of the times, this is physiological and in response to the bodily factors.

However, alcohol may cause cardiac arrhythmia like atrial fibrillation, which also involves heart rate elevation. But it is unlikely to be fibrillation because fibrillation involves sudden elevation and sudden offset rather than gradual onset. One would have palpitations and irregularities in heart beating in this case. It will not follow activities. It would be associated with other symptoms like dizziness, chest pain, sweating, or shortness of breath.So, I do not think there is anything to worry about it.

If you also have a baseline elevated heart rate at other times as well, then you should do regular exercises to increase the vagal tone and lower the heart rate.

What will happen if I take Potassium chloride tablet without the need?

Query: Hi doctor,I was not prescribed by my doctor to have Potassium chloride tablet. But, I had one tablet per day for the past two days. Is it fine to take? What will be the side effect? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Potassium chloride tablet should not be taken without monitoring. Serum potassium level should be done once in every three days. Hyperkalemia (elevated level of potassium) is a very dangerous thing. It can precipitate many sorts of arrhythmias (abnormal heart b...  Read Full

I had a strange episode and do not remember anything of that moment. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a strange episode the other day where I was driving, and it was like I lost and had been in a trance or asleep. When I snapped out of it, I was not sure where I was. I thought I was lost at first and did not recognize anything, although I take this trip daily. I had not been sleepy,...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The episode you describe fits into either a syncope or a dissociation. I think your neurologist is right. One episode of syncope is not a big problem. However, my further recommendation is to make an appointment with a cardiologist also. Some cardiac problems such...  Read Full

What does an irregular heartbeat mean?

Query: Hello doctor, Just tonight I started having an irregular heartbeat. I have no other symptoms. I am not weak or dizzy or lightheaded. It has been going on and off for about five hours.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Your symptoms are most likely due to heart arrhythmia most likely AFib (atrial fibrillation), the most common arrhythmia which causes palpitations and may be completely asymptomatic. The other possible causes include SVT (supraventricular tac...  Read Full