Q. What are the treatment options for increased uric acid?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Aug 22, 2016

Since yesterday morning, I have been having an acute pain and stiffness in the joint of the big toe on the left foot. Also, there is a little amount of swelling. The symptoms are similar to elevated uric acid levels. Four years ago, I had a spike in uric acid levels. I have given my sample for a blood test. Can you suggest some medicine in the meanwhile?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• I suggest tablet Naproxen 500 mg twice daily and tablet Indomethacin 50 mg three times daily. These are generic names. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

I have got my blood report today and I have attached the same here. The uric acid level is 8.7. I have the following queries. I have started taking Naproxen. Do I need to continue the same and for how many days? What food should I avoid and eat? Can I eat chicken or fish? Can you suggest any treatment to reduce the swelling and pain in the foot?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

#

• You have to take Naproxen for 7 to 10 days. By that time the swelling would have reduced.
  • You can eat chicken. But, avoid liver and kidneys, which can cause an increase in uric acid.
  • Increase your liquid intake, limitation of ethanol use, decreased use of fructose-containing foods and beverages and avoidance of diuretic are also helpful to limit uric acid level. Control of body weight is another important factor.
  • The mainstay of treatment during an acute attack is the administration of anti-inflammatory drugs such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), colchicine or glucocorticoids.
  • The most effective drugs are any of those with a short half-life and includes Indomethacin, 25–50 mg thrice daily, Naproxen 500 mg twice daily, Ibuprofen 800 mg thrice a day, Diclofenac 50 mg three times a day, Glucocorticoids given IM or orally, for example, Prednisone, 30 to 50 mg per day as the initial dose and gradually tapered.
  • For a single joint or a few involved joints intraarticular Triamcinolone acetonide, 20 to 40 mg or Methylprednisolone 25 to 50 mg, have been effective and well tolerated.
  • Based on recent evidence on the essential role of the inflammation and interleukin 1β (IL-1β) in acute gout, Anakinra has been used and other inhibitors of IL-1β are under investigation.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

My husband has got a scar on chest. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has got a scar on his chest following a pimple. Now, I feel that the size of the scar has become bigger than it was before. It is not painful, but he feels itchy sometimes. He has the scar for around three years now. He has a family history of keloid in his maternal grandmother...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be keloid especially if it is associated with pain, itching or increased sensations. Treatment is mainly comprised of local injection of steroid alone, namely Triamcinolone and in resistant cases along with 5-Fluorouracil. They are repeated on a monthly basis ...  Read Full

My daughter got hit on her head with a wooden swing. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter got hit in the head with a wooden swing by my other child. It hit above the eye between eyebrow and temple. She is acting fine. It is very swollen and bruised, like a very large goose egg. Do you think that calls for a trip to the doctor or just more ice packs? It has been abo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As it is an injury around the eye, it may cause congestion in the eyes and secondary infection as well. She also needs analgesics. It is not a small injury to be treated only by ice packs. I suggest you try doing the following: Get an x-ray of the frontotemporal region o...  Read Full

Nausea and stomach pain after taking Panadol.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 27 years old, 50 kg, 162 cm. Just before sleeping at 11:30 AM, I took two Panadol advance pills and one Muscerol 3 pill altogether. I have not eaten for the last five hours earlier. Later that night, I woke up around 2 AM feeling nausea which lasted for a few minutes. S...  Read Full >>

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The drugs that you mentioned all contain NSAIDs. These drugs are known to damage stomach mucosal lining and cause gastritis. I would suggest to minimise these drugs. You can use some over-the-counter antacids like Pantoprazole or Ranitidine available at stores along ...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now