Q. I have a pulsating feeling on the left side of my stomach. Will this go away by itself?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 34 year old female who is generally in good health. Yesterday, I went to dinner, ate a lot, felt very full after and felt I had strong gas. But, I was not in pain, just felt very full. What freaked me out was this pulsating feeling on the left side of my stomach above my belly button. It continued throughout the day on and off. I woke up with a feeling of no appetite. I was bloated and burping a lot but not nauseous and there was no diarrhea. I have been on Avaine birth control for about a year now and have never missed a pill, but am concerned I could be pregnant as the burping was an earlier sign when I was. Other than the burping, I do not feel any pregnancy symptoms. Is this something that will just pass or should I be concerned?

#

• I went through your post. Burping was never and will never be a sign of pregnancy. It generally is due to the intake of food which does not get digested properly and results in belching. It is temporary and should settle in 36 to 48 hours.
  • In case it is bothering you, I would suggest a pro-kinetic like Domperidone 10 mg twice daily which will hasten the stomach clearance and prevent burping. You have not mentioned about your periods, if they got delayed or not. A regular period always excludes pregnancy.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My periods are very regular. I am on the pill and have not missed a pill since I have been on it.

#

• Epigastric pulsation is seen in lean people because the large blood vessels called abdominal aorta is covered with very little body muscle and fat in such people. Anything that increases the heart rate like fever, exercise and in your case a high-protein diet which did not get digested properly.
  • You also have regular breakthrough bleeding and I can assure you that you are not pregnant. So, relax. 

|