Q. I have a pulsating feeling on the left side of my stomach. Will this go away by itself?

Published on Sep 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 34 year old female who is generally in good health. Yesterday, I went to dinner, ate a lot, felt very full after and felt I had strong gas. But, I was not in pain, just felt very full. What freaked me out was this pulsating feeling on the left side of my stomach above my belly button. It continued throughout the day on and off. I woke up with a feeling of no appetite. I was bloated and burping a lot but not nauseous and there was no diarrhea. I have been on Avaine birth control for about a year now and have never missed a pill, but am concerned I could be pregnant as the burping was an earlier sign when I was. Other than the burping, I do not feel any pregnancy symptoms. Is this something that will just pass or should I be concerned?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

• I went through your post. Burping was never and will never be a sign of pregnancy. It generally is due to the intake of food which does not get digested properly and results in belching. It is temporary and should settle in 36 to 48 hours.
  • In case it is bothering you, I would suggest a pro-kinetic like Domperidone 10 mg twice daily which will hasten the stomach clearance and prevent burping. You have not mentioned about your periods, if they got delayed or not. A regular period always excludes pregnancy.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My periods are very regular. I am on the pill and have not missed a pill since I have been on it.

#

• Epigastric pulsation is seen in lean people because the large blood vessels called abdominal aorta is covered with very little body muscle and fat in such people. Anything that increases the heart rate like fever, exercise and in your case a high-protein diet which did not get digested properly.
  • You also have regular breakthrough bleeding and I can assure you that you are not pregnant. So, relax. 

I am suffering from excessive belching for the last 5 years.Please help me diagnose my stomach problem.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I am suffering from excessive belching for the last 5 years. I have done endoscopy and the doctor suggested me acid reflux capsules Nexpro RD 20. I have been taking one capsule every morning before meal, but still I have excessive belching problem. Those capsul...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have acidity. Please take Nexpro RD 20 (Esomeprazole) every day in the morning on empty stomach and do not eat or drink anything for the next 30 minutes. Diet should be less in spice and if you have to eat spicy food then please take curds after the meal. You ...  Read Full

Should I take Prevacid in the night for GERD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with GERD six years ago. I have gained 10 pounds of weight and I started having phlegm in my throat. I am coughing more to get the phlegm out of my throat. I am currently taking Prevacid (over-the-counter) once a day in the morning. The phlegm and coughing does not seem ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should try a combination of Lansoprazole and Domperidone for one month. Avoid fasting and having spicy food. Take small and frequent meals.  Read Full

Why am I belching all the time?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38-year old male. 6’0" 230 pounds. I have had chronic belching for about a month. This is from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Symptoms decrease when lying flat or sitting still. I belch every time I stand up or sit down. It is almost like a hiccup burp. No...  Read Full >>

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query in detail. I would like a few more details about your belching. Do you have reflux symptoms (sour after taste, recently consumed food coming back to the throat on belching, or heartburn) or any vomiting? How are you opening your bowels? H...  Read Full