Q. Why am I not benefited with antibiotics for cough and stomach pain?

Dr. Amit Dhamankar

Hi doctor

I have been sick on and off for two months. I have had a cough, stuffed nose, body aches, fever and burning when I urinate. I also have had a sharp pain in the stomach and headache. I have taken antibiotics, but they did nothing to me. I am a 45 year old male.

Dr. Amit Dhamankar

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through your query and symptoms.

• I feel you need to get evaluated for infectious as well as autoimmune disorders.
  • As per chronicity of the symptoms cough of more than three weeks and stomach ache with burning micturition fits more for infectious disease. As you completed the course of antibiotics, it is possible that the organism is resistant to the drug.
  • If you can, then please provide more description about your symptoms like a dry cough or a cough with expectoration, stomach ache in which part of the abdomen, any relevance to the position, etc., and investigation if you have done any and what antibiotics you have taken in the past.
  • My plan of treatment would be as follows: Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  1. Tablet Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg three times a day for seven days.
  2. Take plenty of juices preferably cranberry juice.
  3. Syrup Alex (Chlorpheniramine, Dextromethorphan, Guaifenesin and Phenylephrine) three times a day for 10 days.
  4. Tablet Paracetamol 650 mg three times a day for seven days.
  • Kindly get blood culture and sensitivity if fever is present, sputum culture sensitivity if a cough with expectoration and urine culture sensitivity.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|