Q. Will DHEA and Ubiquinol still work while on birth control pills?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 39. RE has me on 600 mg Ubiquinol and 75 mg of DHEA daily due to poor egg quality. However, I am also on birth control pills due to bad endometriosis. Will the DHEA and Ubiquinol still work while on the pill? I have had two failed IVF cycles.

#

How are you doing?

Birth control pills are a combination of estrogen and progesterone hormones. They just prevent the ovulation and have no effects on the actions of the DHEA and Ubiquinol. You can have them both at the same time.

If I may advise, you already have a lot of risk factors. Your age is at the upper limit for the healthy reproductive age, two failed IVFs and endometriosis.

These medicines have a limitation. They cannot regenerate new eggs from the ovaries. They are supposed to awaken the sleeping or hidden eggs. But at this age, the quality of eggs will be compromised. Also, the endometriosis would have damaged few eggs.

The ideal and best option to get pregnant would be to go for donor IVF. You can have donor eggs with your partner's sperms, embryos, and your name.

I suggest you suppress the endometriosis completely with injection Leuprolide, then transfer the embryos when the endometrium is thick enough. This way neither the poor egg quality nor the endometriosis will affect the pregnancy outcome. You will definitely have a healthy pregnancy.

Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back if any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

We are undergoing infertility treatment.Will this treatment cause birth defects in our child?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 24 years old and she has PCOD. We have been trying to conceive for the past 2 years, but no result. We went to infertility specialist six months ago. He started the treatment through medicines and one IUI. But, all the treatments failed. Then, he decided to go for IVF....  Read Full »

Is it possible to conceive naturally after endometriosis surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have been trying to conceive for a year with endometriosis on ovary. My husband is 32 and normal. My AMH is 1.85. I am planning to get laparoscopic surgery. Can laparoscopic surgery reduce my AMH further more? What should I do?  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now