Q. Why am I having red spots in my throat?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

Please see the attached pictures of my mouth. The lump on top of my mouth is a torus. I have a red spot on the side of it though. What could it be?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• You do not have to worry about these red spots (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Those are normally seen on the palate due to minor blood clots formed due to either some pressure applied on the palate by tongue or even without any cause.
  • It happens due to the very thin nature of the skin on the palate, especially due to the tori.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

It has cleared up and now some more red spots on my throat. I am a smoker and worry a lot about oral cancer. I do not know if the irritant of smoking could cause the redness. But, what could be this redness on my throat?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

I understand your concern and have seen your current pictures of the throat (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is just a simple inflammatory reaction either due to some food or mild throat infection or even a reaction to smoking also causes such redness.
  • It is always advised to reduce smoking as such reactions coming often can also sometimes result in malignancy.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|