Q. I have a swollen and painful hernia on the right side under the thigh. Which operation is the best?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 04, 2020

I have a hernia on the right side under the thigh, which is swollen and painful. The doctor suggested an operation. So please tell me what kind of operation is the best? What kind of surgery should he go for, either for laser or cesarean? I have mesh; is it fine or not? Please tell me which surgery and how many days he has to take rest after the surgery?

#

There are two methods to approach the management of inguinal hernia. The one is open, and another is laparoscopic. I wonder if you mean by Caesarean as open and laser for the latter.

Of course, the laparoscopic is the best one, since you would be able to move around the day after surgery. The days to mobility are far sooner than the open type of surgery.

There are certain limitations with the laparoscopic surgery. These are due to,

• Lack of expertise.
  • Increased cost.
  • Need to general anesthesia.

But the advantage is a small scar, early post-operative mobility, and decreased complication rate.

There are no strict guidelines yet, which to opt over the other. It is still debatable, and mostly there the factors mentioned above are decisive in selecting the type of surgery. And the best person to decide is the treating surgeon and his or her expertise.

The things are reverse in an open type of surgery that is no expertise required (it is universally performed everywhere), low cost since no laparoscopic machine is needed. It can be done in spinal anesthesia, meaning you would be conscious while having this surgery. There will be no intubation required.

I could not understand the writing in the prescription, for which one of the above your surgeon wishes to go along.

The procedure of hernia repair is known as hernioplasty, meaning repair of the hernia. Here we do mesh repair technique, which has good results and stays long term that prevents the hernia's recurrence. So I suggest you the same.

I hope this served all your concerns.

|