Q. I am having pain after inguinal hernia and hydocele operation. Please help.

Dr. Ohams Henry

After suffering with groin pain, I had a double operation 12 weeks ago. During the operation, I had a repair of left side inguinal hernia and right hand hydrocele. I am now in more pain than I was before the operation. My testicle thorns with pain constantly and I have stabbing pain on hernia side. It feels like someone is sticking a bottle in me. I am struggling to walk very far, climb stairs and drive. I am unable to have a sex life. Is it normal to do both operations at the same time? Can you explain any possible cause for pain?

Dr. Ohams Henry

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Well, ideally if you have bilateral inguinal hernia, or inguinaĺ hernia on one side and hydrocele on the other, the surgery should be done for one first before the other, not simultaneously so that when you are fully recovered of one, then the other can be planned and done. Pain can be due to entrapment of a nerve like ileoinguinal or ileohypogastric nerves which run with the spermatic cords or it could be also present if there is improper repair with subsequent breakdown of the repair and subsequent herniation of the bowel content into the inguinal ring or it can be from infection of the operation site. 12 weeks is quite a long time for surgical pains to have disappeared.

You will need to do an abdominal pelvic ultrasound scan to see if there is any reccurence or failure of the surgery or if there is entrapment of visceral content.

| 

What causes enlarged testicles?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 44 year old male. I have enlarged right testicle, which is three to four times the left one. There is no pain or discomfort. I have noticed it today only. It may be there for some time. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now