Q. My legs are itchy and red. Is that due to insect bite?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

Something appears to have bitten me on my legs. The skin is very red, and when I scratch, the area around it gets small red dots. It is incredibly itchy, and heat makes it worse. When I put ice on it, it feels better. I can feel a tiny lump in the centre of the round red bite, and it pains when I touch the lump. It happened yesterday night. I have had this happened on my ankles before, but not to the same intensity. I am currently only taking Iron supplements.

#

• It looks like some bed bug bitten case. Avoid scratching that area if you develop the itch.
  • I suggest you antihistamine drug like tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for five days and tablet Acenac-P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) twice daily for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.
  • Apply Clindamycin lotion and do not wash the area to avoid any bacterial infection. Avoid touching that area frequently and do not apply anything over it.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|