Q. My wife gave birth to a dead baby. Is that because we both are cousins?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 10, 2021

I am married to my cousin, blood relatives. My blood group is B positive, and my wife is A positive. She gave birth to a dead baby, and it was the first pregnancy. I am deeply concerned if this because of our relationship. Please guide me.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• In consanguineous marriage, the chance of spread of autosomal recessive disorder and certain congenital malformations is present.
  • Hence, both of your CBC (complete blood count) report and HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) should be done to rule out hemoglobinopathy.
  • Genetic counseling should be done before conception. After conception, regular clinical checkup and chorionic villus sampling like investigations should be done if needed.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|