Q. I got married to my relative. Should I worry about having the second baby?

I got married to my relative and we have the same blood group. My first baby is quite healthy and fine without any problem. Now, we are planning for the second baby. We did not check about Rh factor yet and we afraid that any problem might come in the second pregnancy. Should I worry about having the second baby? Is there any test to confirm the same? Please guide us.

#

• You and your husband are relatives, so in such situation prenatal or preconception counseling is beneficial to avoid the consanguineous disease transmission mainly autosomal recessive problem like thalassemia.
  • If your blood group is Rh negative and if the fetus is Rh positive, then further management should be done to avoid hemolytic disease of a newborn.
  • You should also investigate with CBC (complete blood count) and peripheral smear examination. If hemoglobinopathy is suspected, then HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) like investigation has to be done to rule out it.
  • So, without fear consult your nearby gynecologist for examination and further counseling. Take care.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|