Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Is Cystopen the right medicine for frequent urination problem?

Answered by
Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2017

Hi doctor,

My sister is 20 years old. She has a problem of frequent urination. She has to urinate numerous times. She has undergone cystoscopy and urodynamics test. She has a small and weak bladder with 350 mL capacity. But, the reason behind frequent urination has to be diagnosed still. The doctor has a doubt of IC that is, interstitial cystitis. She is taking Cystopen thrice a day and Cranpac-D once a day for two months. But, there is no significant relief. I want to know whether the treatment is right.

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner Internal Medicine


Welcome to

I understand your concern. I went through your sister's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Your sister's uroflow study shows an average flow rate of 13.5 mL per second (normal more than 15 mL per second) and a desire to micturate and bladder capacity are also low as per the reports.
  • The urodynamic study report favors the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis (IC) or bladder pain syndrome.
  • Though the diagnosis of IC is based mainly on the clinical symptoms, urodynamic study is also helpful.
  • Here are some points which will help you. Your sister needs to be trained with bladder training. Like if she micturates every 30 minutes ask her to hold it for 45 minutes the next time, So, gradually she needs to increase the time.
  • Consult a physiotherapist to get some pelvic muscle exercises to relax her muscle and thus decreased pain.
  • Application of local heat or cold over the bladder (pubic area) or perineum can help reduce the symptoms.
  • Regarding medicine Cystopen (Pentosan polysulfate sodium), the right treatment your doctor is giving, but if her symptoms are not getting relieved, then you can talk to your doctor so that he can start her other medications like tablet Atrax (Hydrochloride), etc.
  • Are there any change of symptoms after starting the treatment? Kindly send the urine culture and blood sugar reports.
  • Is there any complaints of pain, prior pelvic surgery or radiation exposure, blood in urine, etc?

Investigations to be done:

Urine culture and blood sugar levels.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Bladder pain syndrome (interstitial cystitis).
2. Detrusor muscle weakness.

Preventive measures:

To prevent flares of disease, ask her to avoid foods and drinks that make symptoms worse, avoid activities that make symptoms worse and get treated quickly for bladder infections.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after a month to an internal medicine physician online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am experiencing pain while urinating but all tests are normal. What could be the reason?
Why do I have a double urine stream?
My frequent urination problem stopped after I started masturbating. Are they related?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Drinking lots of water but not urinating. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I drank a good amount of water (five to six bottles), but I only peed like 6 or 7 times. Three of those times barely, almost none, came out. I woke up this morning having the urge to pee, and when I did it, I still feel like I could have peed a lot more. I went out this morning and came ho...  Read Full »

What can cause the penis to tingle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old sexually active male. I have been with the same girl for the past 10 years and we are loyal in the relationship. I am having a ton of issues and pain in my lower region. The symptoms are lower back pain, pain in my pubic region, pain and tingling in my testicles, burnin...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.