Q. Is Cystopen the right medicine for frequent urination problem?

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

My sister is 20 years old. She has a problem of frequent urination. She has to urinate numerous times. She has undergone cystoscopy and urodynamics test. She has a small and weak bladder with 350 mL capacity. But, the reason behind frequent urination has to be diagnosed still. The doctor has a doubt of IC that is, interstitial cystitis. She is taking Cystopen thrice a day and Cranpac-D once a day for two months. But, there is no significant relief. I want to know whether the treatment is right.

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner Internal Medicine
#

I understand your concern. I went through your sister's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your sister's uroflow study shows an average flow rate of 13.5 mL per second (normal more than 15 mL per second) and a desire to micturate and bladder capacity are also low as per the reports.
  • The urodynamic study report favors the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis (IC) or bladder pain syndrome.
  • Though the diagnosis of IC is based mainly on the clinical symptoms, urodynamic study is also helpful.
  • Here are some points which will help you. Your sister needs to be trained with bladder training. Like if she micturates every 30 minutes ask her to hold it for 45 minutes the next time, So, gradually she needs to increase the time.
  • Consult a physiotherapist to get some pelvic muscle exercises to relax her muscle and thus decreased pain.
  • Application of local heat or cold over the bladder (pubic area) or perineum can help reduce the symptoms.
  • Regarding medicine Cystopen (Pentosan polysulfate sodium), the right treatment your doctor is giving, but if her symptoms are not getting relieved, then you can talk to your doctor so that he can start her other medications like tablet Atrax (Hydrochloride), etc.
  • Are there any change of symptoms after starting the treatment? Kindly send the urine culture and blood sugar reports.
  • Is there any complaints of pain, prior pelvic surgery or radiation exposure, blood in urine, etc?

Urine culture and blood sugar levels.

1. Bladder pain syndrome (interstitial cystitis).
2. Detrusor muscle weakness.

To prevent flares of disease, ask her to avoid foods and drinks that make symptoms worse, avoid activities that make symptoms worse and get treated quickly for bladder infections.

Revert back after a month to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|