Q. Does dilated left ventricle in echocardiogram mean dilated cardiomyopathy?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

My mother has heart palpitations at night. She has had high blood pressure for many years and is currently taking tablet Exforge HCT 5 mg/160 mg/12.5 mg. I want to show a heart doctor two results of my mother's echocardiogram, one taken today and another one a year before. It says, 'dilated left ventricle internal dimensions with good systolic and impaired diastolic function grade I,' with LVEDD 62 mm, LVESD 40 mm, FS 35%, and EF 64%. Does this mean she has dilated cardiomyopathy? Please help.

#

I understand your concern. LV (left ventricle) is slightly dilated, but this is not cardiomyopathy. The mitral valve is prolapsing and leaking, not severe. There is no need of worrying. Only annual Echocardiography surveillance is all that is needed. Control blood pressure strictly to prevent worsening of mitral regurgitation. Otherwise, echocardiography is normal.

Thank you doctor.

Then can you please explain to me the meaning of dilated left ventricle internal dimensions mentioned in the echocardiography? Because once I search for dilated left ventricle online, it always shows me that it means dilated cardiomyopathy, and I read horrible things about it and how it has a poor prognosis. Please advise.

#

Dilated means left ventricles size has increased. Your mother's ejection fraction is 64%, which is normal and good. The causes are many. The most common is heart attack and chronic angina. Other causes are hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disorders, cancer chemotherapy, pregnancy, alcohol, rhythm abnormalities, amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, and the list is very long. But in all, the heart's function is compromised, which is measured as ejection fraction. The abnormal thing is the mitral valve is prolapsing and moderately leaking. It slowly can progress over the years to become severely leaky. For that, control of blood pressure is essential with medicines. If she has shortness of breath, I suggest diuretics.

Thank you doctor for the insight.

So is that increase in left ventricle size called left ventricular hypertrophy? If yes, is it mild or severe? Please help.

#

No, it is not hypertrophy, it is dilatation. It does occur with mitral regurgitation. To decrease the progression of LV dilatation, blood pressure control with medicines is essential. Treatment depends upon the presence or absence and severity of symptoms.

Thank you doctor.

Do you suggest surgery for her mitral regurgitation before it is too late? Also, is the life expectancy for her case is five years like I read on the internet because of this LV dilatation? Please advise.

#

Surgery is done in case of severe mitral regurgitation with symptoms. Your mother's mitral regurgitation is moderate. However, no parameters are mentioned in the echocardiography report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) on which basis it was labeled moderate. With moderate MR (mitral regurgitation), life expectancy is near normal. I hope this helps.

|