Q. What are the causes of irregular periods and heavy menstrual bleeding?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

I am a 30-year-old female with heavy bleeding and irregular periods. This year, I had my first period five months back, and the second one a month back. But I have been bleeding for 15 days continuously. So please suggest medicine for the bleeding.

#

Hi

I went through your post and understood your concern. Irregular bleeding at thirty-plus years of age is quite common. The common causes include PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome), fibroid uterus, adenomyotic uterus or increased uterine thickness, hormonal imbalances, thyroid disorders, polyps, and infections inside the uterus. It is important to know the reasons behind your abnormal bleeding and give adequate treatment.

Abnormal uterine bleeding can predispose women to precancerous endometrial conditions such as hyperplasia, which occurs when the lining of the uterus thickens and has a future cancerous risk. You need to do the below investigations to know the diagnosis. You can start the tablet below and take it for three days. It will decrease the bleeding transiently.

CBC -Complete blood count,

Sr TSH - Thyroid stimulating hormone test,

Sr Vitamin D assay,

Ultrasound of pelvis to comment on endometrial thickness.

Tablet Tranexa NF- 1 tablet twice a day after food for three days.

Follow up with the reports.

|