Q. Does having frequent bowel issues indicate irritable bowel syndrome?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I have been struggling with my bowel issues for past one year. First, I have gas which makes me uncomfortable. In the morning, my gas continues, leading to diarrhea or constipation, and this excretion leads to hemorrhoids. The symptoms sometimes disappear for about one or two weeks. I also tried using Duspatalin for two weeks and felt some relief, and with Alflorex, I did not find any improvement. I do not have any stress. I have a healthy diet and a regular sleep cycle. I also underwent several imaging tests for gastric diseases, but they were normal.

I want your advice. Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

You are suffering from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This condition is due to anxiety which causes digestive problems via the gut-brain axis. Also, it is not necessary that you need to be under stress to get this disease. There are many documented cases where patients who have healthy lifestyles develop IBS. Also, all your investigations are within the normal range, which favors the diagnosis of IBS only (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Therefore, I suggest a few things.

1. Take tablet Rifaximin (antibiotic) 550 mg twice daily for three months.
  2. Take tablet Placida (Flupenthixol and Melitracen) twice a day for two weeks.
  3. Take tablet Normaxin (Chlordiazepoxide) twice a day for two weeks. Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them and take the medications with their consent.

Further treatment will be modified after two weeks.

Please revert in case of further queries.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|