Q. I feel bloated and get loose motion just after eating food. Why?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Whenever I sit or lay down to rest or sleep just after taking food I get loose motion. Often, it is mucus loose motion and high headache. Also, I get vomit. What is my problem? What treatment should I take for this?

#

• Urge to defecate following the intake of food is a common digestive complaint and it in most cases is due to physiological causes.
  • Due to gastrocolic reflex whenever your stomach is stretched it stimulates the colon and leads to passing stools.
  • But, however, if the same reflex is urgent, uncontrollable or associated with cramps or vomiting, then we need to rule out the cause.
  • It can be any one of the following diseases. Inflammatory bowel syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome - diarrhea type (IBS-D) and food intolerance as in lactose intolerance.
  • Do you have abdominal pain? Did you observe any passage of blood in stools?
  • Do you have any bloating, flatulence, constipation or diarrhea? If so, then for how long?
  • Any specific food that exacerbates your problem like milk products such as curd or wheat or corn?
  • Is there any unexplained weight loss? Are you suffering from anemia or gallbladder surgery?
  • IBS - D is a functional bowel disorder due to hyperactive bowel and increased defective reflexes.
  • Management of IBS is as follows. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with consent.
  1. Diet - Avoid chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, sorbitol and fructose containing food.
  2. Drink plenty of water and eat fiber containing food.
  3. Do not get stressed and do exercise. Take probiotics like tablet Lactogut (lactic acid bacillus) twice daily. Try to avoid triggering foods.
  4. I suggest you try tablet Welchol (Colesevelam) twice daily for seven days to see the response.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Yes, I have abdominal cramps though less severe. I also have bloating and flatulence sometimes. But, I have never felt blood in my stool. Yes, milk, dairy products and sweets aggravate my complaint. There is loose motion. I have neither loss weight nor anemic. I did not get any gallbladder surgery. Yes, it is chronic. For more than 15 years or so, I am bearing it.

#

• As I have told you before, avoid all the foods that trigger the problem.
  • Is there any anxiety or depression? You may take tablet Dicyclomine when you have cramps.
  • As you never had any bloody stools and weight loss or anemia inflammatory bowel syndrome can be kept down the list next to irritable bowel syndrome.
  • If you are very much concerned, you can go for stool analysis for leukocyte and pus cells and colonoscopy to rule out inflammatory bowel syndrome.
  • Continue your treatment; you may try what I have advised. Do try tablet Welchol and let me know if it works on you.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »

Will my PCOD get cured with homeopathy treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PCOD for about 15 years. I have all symptoms of pcod and irregular periods problem. I had one miscarriage 5 years ago due to cervical incompetence. I just started taking Kalarchi choornam for 48 days and facing some side effects. My body is developing heat and I have got some ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»