Q. My 1-year-old kid has itchy red skin with scaly patches. Kindly help.

Dr. Shama Naaz

My daughter is 1 year old. She is suffering from itchy skin from time to time. Rashes look like red patches and scales. It is very itchy when it is too dry. We went to the doctor last week, and they gave her Quadrotopic cream and oral anti-histamine. It went fine, but after seven days of taking medicines, it came back again. I hope that you can help me find the best cream for her itchy skin. Some of the rashes look like a circle, and some like red patches only. Her grandmother has the same condition. When it is very dry, it itches a lot. She has it on her arms, legs, back, and bottom.

#

First of all, please do not use Quadrotopic cream for a one-year-old child, as it contains a strong steroid and is not meant for babies. If you have applied it for a long time, it will cause skin thinning, redness, and sun sensitivity, along with other side effects of steroids. So please do not use it.

Please send a clear photograph of her skin lesions to do further evaluation depending upon her skin condition.

I used it for at least one week. Because they asked us to use it two times a day. I could not find it in some pharmacies, and it is too expensive also. I wanted the ointment, which can ease her itchiness and also cure it at the same time. It is tough to see her scratching. She has these even before. Her skin is very sensitive but now only when we came from a hot place.

#

After looking at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she has dry skin along with wheals over her leg. Here are some things that can be done to control with good skincare.

While bathing her, you should use a non-soap cleanser like Cetaphil and limit time in the shower to 5 minutes and not more than that. You can use lukewarm water for bathing as hot water can further dry out her skin. Pat dry her skin with a soft towel, and you should not rub. After bathing, you should use a moisturizer within three minutes. Moisturizer should be in ointment or cream form, hypoallergenic, and non-fragrance creams like Cetaphil or Cerave cream.

Avoidance of triggers like minimizes the exposure to heat or sun, clean curtains, bedsheets, and carpets as dust can cause allergy. Keep her skin covered with cotton clothing. Some people can be sensitive to harsh non-breathable fabrics like wool and polyester, so avoid these.

If she has severe itching, instead of Quadrotopic cream, you can apply Hydrocortisone 1% cream and after 30 minutes, apply moisturizer over it twice daily.

Follow up next week.

|